Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member GreatWhitehunter's Avatar
    Tractor
    JD 110 TLB

Default Top soil screen

Has anyone made or seen a nonmotorized topsoil screen? I was thinking of making one. Are there and nonmotorized screens already available? Has anyone here made one? I'd really like to get/make one since I've been clearing in my yard I now have two large piles of mixed dirt/rock/brush. Are there any companys renting motorized screens that would work for a homeowner?

Thanks
    Matt Traficante

Tractor
    JD 790

Default Re: Top soil screen

A low tech version is a wooden frame of 2x4's with hardware cloth stapled to the top. You can pick the screen size of the cloth. 1/4" 1/2" etc. You dump the dirt mixture on the top and spread it around by hand. Wear gloves!!! I did this with all the dirt from digging up trenches for sprinklers. What falls through is good sifted dirt. What stays on tops gets discarded. It is a mini version of a rock plant sifting screen. The cost will be under $20 including the gloves.
    Lewis Gordon

JD 790, 300 FEL, 5' KK rotary mower, 5' boxscraper, Huskee 3PT logsplitter, JD#39N sickle mower and a Jinma 6" chipper in JD colors.

My XUV gas Gator wants a brother !!!!!!!! (the diesel kind)

Even better...

Tilt the screen and dump the soil on from the high side. Scoop the screened soil out from under on the same side. Stuff too big for the screen rolls down & off the low side.

You are using a FEL, right? It'll work with a shovel too, but not quite so easy.

I'm pretty certain I've seen a few threads here (or somewhere...) with details AND pictures...I'll hunt around & post a link or two if I find them.

Here's a good example (just had to figure out the right search terms...) The really good stuff is on page 2.
    Last edited by Defective; 10-08-2006 at 10:49 PM.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhitehunter
    Has anyone made or seen a nonmotorized topsoil screen? I was thinking of making one. Are there and nonmotorized screens already available? Has anyone here made one? I'd really like to get/make one since I've been clearing in my yard I now have two large piles of mixed dirt/rock/brush. Are there any companys renting motorized screens that would work for a homeowner?

Thanks
    Matt Traficante

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/s...earchid=177058
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Thanks
    Matt Traficante
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...soilscreen.jpg

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Has anyone made or seen a nonmotorized topsoil screen? Thanks
    Matt Traficante
    Lots of people have:
    Here are my 2 Favorite ones.

First Choice > www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/build-yourself/42689d1123475569-need-ideas-rock-screen-filter-70956

2Nd.Choice. >> www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/kubota-owning-operating/43888d1125251871-building-dirt-sreen-bx-23-

Do a search : Just type in Soil Screeners and You should come up with the treads on both of these SCREENERS _ I DID !

Tractor
    JD 110 TLB

I'm not to keen on using wood. I've got some sizable rocks and the wood is going to break. I have designed one at work,I'm still in the process of collecting materials to build it. The frame will be made of 3" square tube. The screen itself will be grating used in ariel walkways. (It's like an 1-1/2" thick)
    And I will be using 1-1/2" angle iron to hold the four screens in place. I've draw up a crude sketch if anyone's interested. I should note that it is extremly overbuilt but I need to use the materials I had. I went with a 30 degree pitch and it's 6' high on the top side and 6' long (screen length) by 4' wide. I plan on share this unit with a friend who has a massey gc2300 so that's why I built it kind of small. But I think that the screen is going to work perfect for my needs.

Matt

Super Star Member
    Tractor

I'm not to keen on using wood. I've got some sizable rocks and the wood is going to break. I have designed one at work,I'm still in the process of collecting materials to build it. The frame will be made of 3" square tube. The screen itself will be grating used in ariel walkways. (It's like an 1-1/2" thick)
    And I will be using 1-1/2" angle iron to hold the four screens in place. I've draw up a crude sketch if anyone's interested. I should note that it is extremly overbuilt but I need to use the materials I had. I went with a 30 degree pitch and it's 6' high on the top side and 6' long (screen length) by 4' wide. I plan on share this unit with a friend who has a massey gc2300 so that's why I built it kind of small. But I think that the screen is going to work perfect for my needs.

Matt
    If the rocks are that big and you know they are there then why would you be putting them on the screener?

Tractor
    JD 110 TLB

The rocks are in a large pile and I'm not going to waste time digging through a pile when I can simply screen them out. It's not going to damage the steel screen I'm building but it will surely wreck a wooden one. The screen I'm making is more a separating screen than a soil screen although it will be able to work for soil. When I'm done I should have a pile of fill, a pile of rocks and a pile of brush. The rock will go into the wall, the fill will be to back fill the wall ( behind the crushed stone) and the brush will be going threw my new chipper for mulch.

Matt Traficante

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    nh tc 30

i took a piece of chaIN LINK FENCE an 8 foot piece of gate a lot stronger set up blocks and put rollers on top and what i do is put a small scoop of dirt and shake it with my bucket a lot cheaper than renting one works slow but it works then i grab the fence and tip it over and set it back down works good but slow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast