Installing ceiling in a 10' high garage bay

/ Installing ceiling in a 10' high garage bay #1  

LBrown59

Super Star Member
First organized permanent settlement in the northw
Tractor
2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500
Any tips on how to install OSB for the ceiling?
I think I can lift the 4x8 sheets up there with the BX23.
What I haven't figured out is how to reach the ceiling to attach the OSB to the rafters.
Kinda leary of using step ladders to reach that high and not enough room for a regular ladder.

/ Installing ceiling in a 10' high garage bay #2  
I would seriously consider renting a drywall jack- lay the sheet on it, crank it up and put it in place. then use some planks between step ladders, or better yet some scaffolding to provide easy reach for screwing it in.

/ Installing ceiling in a 10' high garage bay #3  
Staging or scaffolding should do ya real good and read the thread about using the FEL? LOL
Jim

/ Installing ceiling in a 10' high garage bay #4  
While scaffolding and a drywall jack would be the right tools for the job, I wouldn't hesitate to do it with what you've got. 10' is just not that high, you'll only be about 4-5' off the ground on the step ladder so I wouldn't worry about that. I was painting and hanging lights and a ceiling fan on top of a 12' ladder in my 14' ceilinged living room without a problem.

The FEL would lift the sheets up, but I'm not sure how high with that tractor. Maybe consider building a simple cradle that would attach to the bucket and make the sheets less likely to slide off and keep them from sagging.

/ Installing ceiling in a 10' high garage bay #5  
I did my 11' high ceilings in sheetrock with a sheetrock jack rented for 30$ a day and then a plain ol' 8' stepladder. The sheetrock jack lets you position the sheets and hold them tight so you can screw them in. It is the right tool for the job. I also used it to hold the sheets up to the wall with success.

/ Installing ceiling in a 10' high garage bay #8  
LBrown59 said:
Wasn't planing on getting on or under the FEL.

We wouldn't want ya to either
JIm

/ Installing ceiling in a 10' high garage bay
Highbeam said:
I did my 11' high ceilings in sheetrock with a sheetrock jack rented for 30$ a day and then a plain ol' 8' stepladder. The sheetrock jack lets you position the sheets and hold them tight so you can screw them in. It is the right tool for the job. I also used it to hold the sheets up to the wall with success.
My wife and I just nailed the last sheet on the wall last evening.
To help hold the sheets in place before nailing I loosley tacked a short piece of 2x2 on each end at the top of the lower sheet.
This created a channel on top of that sheet to rest the bottom of the panel on that we were installing.