Can you see the vineyard?

/ Can you see the vineyard? #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
In the spring of last year my spouse and I purchased property. It took a while to get started to clearing the over grown pasture. The progress goes through speedy and slow cycles depending. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for the land preparation step. I have attached some pics of the clearing timeline. I will follow with a few intermediate shots & tools of the trade.

Attachments

• Land Spring 2005.JPG
    Land Spring 2005.JPG
    436.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Land Summer 2005 pic2.JPG
    Land Summer 2005 pic2.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 252
  • Field cleared 2.JPG
    Field cleared 2.JPG
    359.5 KB · Views: 235
   / Can you see the vineyard?
A few early shots that shows my JD buried up to its armpits and the scale of the viney mess.

Attachments

• JD attacking 1.JPG
    JD attacking 1.JPG
    565.2 KB · Views: 253
  • JD & overgrowth.JPG
    JD & overgrowth.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 231
  • JD pushing spruce over.JPG
    JD pushing spruce over.JPG
    519.2 KB · Views: 223
A few tools of the trade to move and mulch bulk material. Last year I soon realized that you can generate lots of material without an easy way to get rid of it.

Attachments

• mulcher.JPG
    mulcher.JPG
    529.2 KB · Views: 225
  • JD with grappler.JPG
    JD with grappler.JPG
    614.7 KB · Views: 219
  • log mover1.JPG
    log mover1.JPG
    563.6 KB · Views: 478
  • Vermeer chipper.JPG
    Vermeer chipper.JPG
    576.4 KB · Views: 219
   / Can you see the vineyard? #4  
this is shaping up to be one heck of a project! let me encourage you to keep going, and keep the pics coming! I am considering a large blueberry field sometime next year, and just have to get my gumption up!

/ Can you see the vineyard? #5  
Great pics and a very ambitious project. Keep us updated as it's grapes are something I know nothing about and it'll be fun to see how it turns out. I read someplace that there are over 20 steps to just planting the vines in the right location. How they face the sun, the wind and how far apart.

Thanks,
Eddie

Eddie - You're right about the steps.... give or take a few. My tack at the moment is: (1) improve road, (2) big rocks come out, (3) smooth the field crown a bit, (4) disc left over viney material, (5) root rake viney chunks and small rocks, (6) recycle 4&5, (7) put in drainage tiling, (7) lime(based on soil science report), (8) deer fencing, (9)cover crop, (10) trellis system, (11) grapes,,,,,,,well you get the picture. The complexity of the soil, grape varieties, weather, pests/fungi, fermentation, & storage make for a challenging venture, hard work, and enjoyment.

Andrewj - The enjoyment level is high but I do find myself making adjustments, both up and down, to my expectations on how fast I can complete tasks. Share your blueberry field project with us when you get started.....Cheers!