rear blade vr landscape rake what to use?

/ rear blade vr landscape rake what to use? #1  

roermo

Gold Member
Tractor
4110 JD
Hi folks, just wanted a opinion on which implement is better to level out 15 tons of crushed white rock (fines). A rear blade or landscape rake. I have a JD 4110 (20 horse +-) with fel. Which I will use to move it around from the pile but finish grade what should I use. My rake does not have a wheel gauge by the way. The area we are placing the rock is 34x24. I use the FEL on float a lot but it seem not to move the material around as fast. Thanks for any advise, the person I doing the work for is picky and always in a hurry, though a good friend it gets to me when I do not get it done fast and right and out of there.

/ rear blade vr landscape rake what to use? #2  
I've done that task using both. I find the blade moves material faster but the rake gives a better surface appearance. You WILL want a guage wheel on either before the job is done.

/ rear blade vr landscape rake what to use? #3  
I did mine with just back dragging the FEL. Actually came out level..Keep some gravel in the bucket put it in float and let her rip..I was happy with the job but the dog wasn't.. It hurt his little feet....

Attachments

• 6-14-2006 Gravel 044.jpg
    6-14-2006 Gravel 044.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 480
  • 6-14-2006 Gravel 047.jpg
    6-14-2006 Gravel 047.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 404
  • Gravel20049.jpg
    Gravel20049.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 359
  • 6-14-2006 Gravel 048.jpg
    6-14-2006 Gravel 048.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 457
   / rear blade vr landscape rake what to use? #4  
don't forget that a box blade works great and is pretty much designed for moving/leveling of dirt & smaller gravel. not as effective at larger stone but works great for 57 or less sized stuff. now depending on who far moving a blade will move better but the rake also leveles better... my vote is the box blade for a combo device. It was my 3rd impliment & for a really really REALLY long time it was the most used one, and pretty much still is when it comes to moving leveling dirt, I finish with a rock rake and generally only use the straight blade for snow... (actually haven't even bolted up my "new to me 6' blade" yet) and for last 30+ hrs of tractor seat time has been exclusively dirt moving & leveling using box, fel then finish with rock rake...

mark M

/ rear blade vr landscape rake what to use? #5  
roermo:

I just "obtained" an 8' landscape rake and I am learning how to use this attachment in moving and leveling leftover dirt (a.k.a. clay) from my driveway project as well as finishing my new gravel driveway. I have had relatively good success back dragging terrain
"depression" fill-ins and the driveway's river run gravel/sand with my FEL , but the rake really speeds up the leveling process. I agree with Defective as it relates to guage wheels. They make a huge difference. Jay

/ rear blade vr landscape rake what to use?
Thanks folks for all the info. I moved about 15 tons of gravel in about 1 hour using the bucket and full of rock and back dragging it. They brought the gravel in a placed it in the middle of the work area. So I just pushed it forward and out to the sides the best I could then we shot the area for level or just off level. We were only off by 1 inch from grade from one side to the other but ran out of rock. It worked out pretty good I think, I am not sure if he is going to get more rock or just poor a deeper slab where it is low. Its his garage and his choice.

Thanks again

Roger

Attachments

• 10 25 06 college drive 1.jpg
    10 25 06 college drive 1.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 351
  • 10 25 06 college drive 2.jpg
    10 25 06 college drive 2.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 275
thanks, it gave me some tractor time, I am getting ready to build my own 30x40 garage soon.
I find myself looking for work just to play.

Roger

well the pad is down, it took 2 loads 1st 7 2nd the owner thought he better go for 8 yards. It turned out he was ordering way too much. At the end the truck driver asked what ya want done with the rest. We asked how much is left, he said about 5 yards was his guess. Well we had him take the rest to his brother house where we poured it out on his gravel drive.

The owner did not pour a footing, he just dug round holes 3 ft deep 18 inch wide for piers, about 4 on each of the 4 sides and two rows down the middle of a 24x30 grage. Will this work. He aslo had rebar on 2 foot sq.

What do you all think. I am along for the ride and when it comes to my garge next week he will be there.

I want to d a footing not the pier what do you thik.

thanks Roger

Attachments

• b 1.jpg
    b 1.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 195
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 182
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 140
  • b4.jpg