Putting Green

/ Putting Green #1  

mjarrels

Elite Member
Tractor
1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.
Anyone built a small putting green? I have a large pile of top soil left over from building a garage and I need to do something with it. I am thinking a nice putting green. I live next door to a 36 hole golf course where my wife works so getting a cup/flag is no issue.

mark

/ Putting Green #2  
search on USGA official construction methods, there is a lot to doing it correctly, it would take alot more sand than topsoil to achieve a good result.

special mower for maintenance also!! maybe an old reel mower would suffice, dont know.

/ Putting Green #3  
I have a buddy that built one. He got really close to a course maintenance guy, so he got a lot of good tips. And he read a lot about it.

On the special mower, it takes one that mows about 1/4" high! And you should mow everyother day at a minimum..........

Lot of work.

ron

/ Putting Green #4  
an old school real mower should do the trick for mowing.. you just cant let it get very long. say every few days as mentioned

/ Putting Green #5  
rdln is correct that your best bet is to check the USGA site for proper construction. Lots of sand for proper drainage is a key. Our course is mowed daily and a hand reel mower will work just fine for yours. I don't know the kind of grass you will want back there in Virginia, maybe Bent? Checking with local nearby courses will give you insight as to what is needed in your specific location, as there are mini-environments in every area that affect growth and maintenance specific to your green. Even on our course, each green is treated almost separately since some are in shade and others in the sun or some at higher or lower elevations. Try to get yours in the sun, away from shade to give it the best chance.

That said, there are many golf courses (like ours) that have old "push-up" greens are doing fine. We do aerate them 2 times per year though. They had no special preparation and were just maintained well by the old superintendent who knew how to "grow grass". After 85 years we have rebuilt only 3 of them, and the new USGA method is incredible with its preparation (and costly).

That sounds like a fun project and you should have fun on it. Putting (and chipping) practice will surely lower your scores. One suggestion is to be sure to have at least on section of it that is nice and flat. It is tempting to make it all sloping with lots of break and mounds for fun, but you will want one section where you can practice seriously. Hitting the put in the direction you think you are aimed is a key to great putting and a straight put will show you that.

Keep us informed of what you are doing there.... and shoot low.
Thanks,

/ Putting Green #7  
I put in an All Pro green about 4 years ago. I made some mistakes that I wouldn't make today like too much slope, should have raised the back, etc. There are two kinds of All Pro greens. The one I have has longer threads so it takes a lot more filler but will hold a shot into it instead of just putting. I hit shots from about 90 yards and less even though my green is a little to small. The other one for just putting has shorter grass threads. The key is the prep, shape and compaction of the limestone dust (1/4 minus). It should be well compacted.
The reason I went with this over a natural green is I don't have to buy an expensive mower and I don't have to work on it every day or every other day as I don't have the time. I did put in a sand trap also. Now if I just had time to practice. I do mow around it a lot.
Oh, and I do plan on taking it with me when I move. The top part that is.