Taking some slope out of a ditch

/ Taking some slope out of a ditch #1  

RobJ

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500
I had one spot of a ditch I mow that caused a little pucker factor. With some time during the AM and PM hunts I spent 30 minutes or so on this. Now I'm good to go. I didn't have a good before picture.

Attachments

• ditch.JPG
    ditch.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 831
  • ditch (1).JPG
    ditch (1).JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 715
  • ditch (2).JPG
    ditch (2).JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 663
   / Taking some slope out of a ditch
Finished up with the closest thing to the ATV to drag it out. I also drug in some Blue Bonnet seeds for next spring if I'm not to late.

Attachments

• ditch (3).JPG
    ditch (3).JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 711
   / Taking some slope out of a ditch #3  
Hey Rob,

That first picture sure looked like it was the one with the pucker factor!!! YIKES!!!!!

Eddie

Well I gotta admit it looked worse when I got off to take the picture, but sitting on there it doesn't feel bad. But I'll also admit before I got back on I pushed on the ROPS just to see. Nothing. But the tractor itself feels more stable with the FM rolling on the ground, no front end bounce.

Oh well, to late now...the Blue Bonnets are already planted!! :)

/ Taking some slope out of a ditch #5  
Rob, I don't think your slope is too bad. Just keep your cutter low and you should have no problem. Having a smooth surface is just as important as the slope.

And the bluebonnets... They should have been planted in June when Mother Nature plants them, but you may see a few next year. Just don't make the mistake of fertilizing. They love very depleted soils on slopes like your ditch looks to be. The very best way of starting bluebonnets is to transplant them. At least that's my luckiest method.

/ Taking some slope out of a ditch #7  
I have a spot like that also. I tried to mow it once but gave up. It was just too steep for me. I've attached a picture illustrating the method I went to and now recommend especially until I get more experience.

Attachments

• I_give_up.jpg
    I_give_up.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 546
   / Taking some slope out of a ditch #8  
RobJ said:
I had one spot of a ditch I mow that caused a little pucker factor. With some time during the AM and PM hunts I spent 30 minutes or so on this. Now I'm good to go. I didn't have a good before picture.
As I viewed your pictures I couldn't help noticing how similar your ditch was to the road ditch along the highway frontage of my place. Even right down to the utility pole with the box at the bottom of it.
Summer of 2005 I installed a 110 foot 15'' culvert in it. Can I tell you how great it is with no more mowing/trimming along that section of ditch ever again?
>>> My Ditch is in Ohio >>> along a state highway.
>>>> Where is your Ditch? >>>> ______________

/ Taking some slope out of a ditch #9  
LBrown59 said:
As I viewed your pictures I couldn't help noticing how similar your ditch was to the road ditch along the highway frontage of my place. Even right down to the utility pole with the box at the bottom of it.
Summer of 2005 I installed a 110 foot 15'' culvert in it. Can I tell you how great it is with no more mowing/trimming along that section of ditch ever again?
>>> My Ditch is in Ohio >>> along a state highway.
Bump-------

/ Taking some slope out of a ditch #10  
LBrown59 said:
Summer of 2005 I installed a 110 foot 15'' culvert in it. Can I tell you how great it is with no more mowing/trimming along that section of ditch ever again?>>> My Ditch is in Ohio >>> along a state highway.

Would you please tell me? :D
Dusty