gravel driveway refresh

/ gravel driveway refresh #1  

Backup

Tractor
JD 2305
I'm looking at a fresh layer of gravel for my 1000' driveway, but not sure what is the best type or size of gravel. The drive has a good base, the top has just compacted down to where it could use another layer of whiterock. I found a guy that is selling reclaimed gravel from an old railroad bed for a great price - semi load delivered for less than $150. He said it's around 22 tons. Thing is, I think that gravel might be too coarse for a regular driveway. I don't want anything larger than about 1 inch. Is there a standard grade or type or gravel that I can reference?

/ gravel driveway refresh #2  
We use crushed limestone around here. Crusher run has the fines in it which makes it pack well and get hard. They have 3/4, 1 1/2, and 3 inch, probably others but thats what we used. We just add 3/4 now as 1 1/2 is a little big for finishing. You can order it without the fines or washed rock to use for drainage in retaining walls etc.. Then there is road gravel(pea gravel) that they top the gravel roads with. However anytime there are soft spots they have to dump rock to firm it up.

I just had a 15 ton load dropped off of 3/4 crusher run and it was $227.

/ gravel driveway refresh #3  
I would look at getting "chat" which is crushed stone/chip stone small about 1/2" or a little less with fines.I have fixed many drive ways with this. If you already have a solid base this would be the route to go. This stone may be called something else where you live. it is used to chip seal roads. (a primative method of paving)

It sells here for around $5 a ton approx $7.50 a yard

/ gravel driveway refresh #4  
I had 40 tons of 3/4 inch traffic bond and laid down a 3 inch layer.
Bob

/ gravel driveway refresh #5  
Backup said:
I'm looking at a fresh layer of gravel for my 1000' driveway, but not sure what is the best type or size of gravel. The drive has a good base, the top has just compacted down to where it could use another layer of whiterock. I found a guy that is selling reclaimed gravel from an old railroad bed for a great price - semi load delivered for less than $150. He said it's around 22 tons. Thing is, I think that gravel might be too coarse for a regular driveway. I don't want anything larger than about 1 inch. Is there a standard grade or type or gravel that I can reference?

Afternoon Backup,
I think alot of it depends on where your located. Up in Vt we use surepack, which I believe is crushed limestone and dust or fines and that stuff packs down like concrete. Someone else down south may use something different that works for that area.

Where are you located ?

/ gravel driveway refresh
Thanks for the replies. I'm in Indiana. I'll check on the 'chat' - I'd like something that will pack well. The drive has a very good shale base with crushed rock top and has been in use for over 20 years with regular maintenance. Now that it's mine, I want to keep it nice and prevent big potholes. Around here everybody calls it whiterock, just would be nice if there were standard gauges or sizes - like #5 whiterock or something, I just havn't seen anything like that.

/ gravel driveway refresh #7  
You may want to call the local quary and see what they have and whats commonly used in your area.

/ gravel driveway refresh #8  
On the lower part of my drive I have 3/4 processed stone which is stone and stone dust that packs down very well, and I can plow it without much trouble. Near the house I have 3/4 trap rock (see attached pic). The trap rock is nice because you don't track stone dust into the house, but the down side is it is very hard to plow. I usually have to back blade it or I end up with a pile of stone on the lawn:(. It does look nicer than the processed, though. Whatever you use, make sure you have a nice crown on the drive. Good luck.

Ken

Attachments

• trap rock.jpg
    trap rock.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 10,552
   / gravel driveway refresh #9  
Have you considered redoing the old driveway?

Rip it, roll the gravel over to one side and grade/pack the sub base, roll windrow to the other side and do the other half of the sub base. Roll the gravel windrow over a few times to mix it well. lay the gravel down in light lifts and use a vibratory packer on each lift. You can add new gravel on the last few lifts.:D

/ gravel driveway refresh #10  
Interesting debate.

My drive is about 650 feet long with about a 10 degree slope towards the bottom. In my upstae NY area we get some wicked rain and after a couple of years it starts to 'grove'. I'm wondering what to put down.

Also has anyone tried those water filled rollers from Northern? Are they any good for anything besides your lawn after you've seeded it?