Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 HST

Default How long for concrete to cure?

I just had a concrete floor poured in my pole barn. 4" of gravel, rebar 2' on center and 4" of concrete. How long should I let it cure before filling the barn up? I'll be puting my tractor, bush hog and ATV in it. Tractor is heaviest thing at about 5,000 or 6,000 (??) pounds. Everything else won't be nearly as heavy.
    Kubota L5030HST, LA853 FEL w/ HD bucket, BH90 backhoe, Bush Hog 286, WR Long Grapple

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 2010

Default Re: How long for concrete to cure?

Suggestion, get as much finishing done on the inside of the pole barn as possible prior to loading it up. Don't have the information on the cure time, I waited approximately two weeks because I didn't have any thing to put in the barn until my stuff arrived from California.
    David
    David B

Tractor
    Kubota M95s, Allis Chalmers 185 & D17 series IV, Kubota ZG-23 Mower, Kawasaki Mule 610

Alot depends on temp and moisture. Unless a curing agent was added no sooner than 1 week and preferably 2 weeks for your tractor. You may want to ask your contractor or the redi-mix company where you got the cement.

Try a google on "Portland Cement Association" lots of proper information.

One of the subsites:

Cement Association of Canada - Curing - Time Relationship

Very minum time will be 7 days. 28 days is usually accepted as fully cured.

A lot depends on the type and treatment of the pour.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Egon is right. 28 days is the accepted time.

Essentially, I think you could hand carry lighter things in there after 7 days, but give it the full 28 before you drive your tractor in.

Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyDave

Egon is right. 28 days is the accepted time.

Essentially, I think you could hand carry lighter things in there after 7 days, but give it the full 28 before you drive your tractor in.

Being in the construction industry most builders tell us to stay off the driveway with our trucks for 7 days. Then we are allowed to go on it. However, the longer the better especially if your going to keep your tractor in one spot for an extended period of time.

murph
    "This country was founded and built by people with great dreams and the courage to take great risks."

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 HST

Thanks. I was going to wait 2 weeks but I'll wait 4 instead.
    Kubota L5030HST, LA853 FEL w/ HD bucket, BH90 backhoe, Bush Hog 286, WR Long Grapple

Silver Member
    Tractor
    CIH D40, JD5310, Mule 610

I have read that the concrete in the Hoover dam is still cureing and it was built in the 30's

Veteran Member

I see you are in PA. I hope you are doing something about keeping it from freezing. 4" slab for a floor to park equiment on seems a bit minimum to me.

Concrete in 'theory' is never cured, it just keeps getting harder. Practical is as others have said. If there is no rush, the 4 weeks would be safe for heavy loads. For reasonable loads, I wouldn't worry about using it in 2 weeks.

Harry K

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    tc- 29d

It is not theory. As concrete cures it gets stronger; the day it is fully cured it is at its strongest; from that day on the concrete begins to get weaker. The Hoover dam is still curing; the day it completely cures, will be the day it begins to get weaker. Yes it will need to be torn down someday as it wil not be able to withstand the water pressure. Don't worry; it will take a few more years. ( hundreds)
    dqdave1; tc-29D; woods 7500 bh; 7308 fel, land pride tiller, land pride rake, gill pulverizer, 60"mmm. , bucket forks , MZ16H

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast