Timber Frame Tractor Home

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home #151  
Well, you ended up with a stunning building. Good to look at and inviting -- it makes you want to walk inside and run your hand over the wood and maybe pound a timber (timberframe equivalent of kicking tires).

Cliff

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home
Cliff_Johns said:
Well, you ended up with a stunning building. Good to look at and inviting -- it makes you want to walk inside and run your hand over the wood and maybe pound a timber (timberframe equivalent of kicking tires).

Cliff

Thanks Cliff

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home #153  
Kevin,
did you ever decide on an exterior finish?

if you're looking for something dark but simple, mixing roof tar into boiled linseed oil makes a simple stain. Adding turpentine will help it penetrate, and depending on how dark you want it you just add more or less tar. (This is an old technique, and I've also seen it described as using gasoline to dissolve the asphalt/tar, but I'm not that into those fumes)

another option if you like the silver gray look of old, weathered, white oak without the damage to the wood is to make a 2% (by volume) solution of iron sulfite with water, let it dry, then brush on boiled linseed oil or other oil based sealer.

great project!

Erik_in_Hoyt said:
Kevin,
did you ever decide on an exterior finish?

if you're looking for something dark but simple, mixing roof tar into boiled linseed oil makes a simple stain. Adding turpentine will help it penetrate, and depending on how dark you want it you just add more or less tar. (This is an old technique, and I've also seen it described as using gasoline to dissolve the asphalt/tar, but I'm not that into those fumes)

another option if you like the silver gray look of old, weathered, white oak without the damage to the wood is to make a 2% (by volume) solution of iron sulfite with water, let it dry, then brush on boiled linseed oil or other oil based sealer.

great project!

Erik:

All I've decided is to over winter it unfinished. I like the look of it now but I know it won't stay that way. I've been playing with some scraps and used motor oil and I like it, darkens only slightly. Also have done reading on some of the high end clear finishes.

I guess in other words, I'm not sure how I want it to look long term so I'll just wait till proper weather and decide then. Still might go barn red.

Regards,
Kevin

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home #155  
Kevin, that's a good plan.
if you do decide to go with motor oil, I'd suggest mixing it with a thinning agent so it soaks in better.
Also, boiled linseed will preserve the current color with little darkening if you want to keep it as it is - but you're right in waiting for warmer weather, since nothing's going to do much soaking in when the temp is below 50.

;)

have a good set of holidays and I'll look forward to new pictures as they happen!

I've already gone through two gallons of BLO. In the spring I'm going to empty the barn, lay plastic on the floor and spray the entire inside with 50/50 BLO and Turp. If I decide to keep the natural on the outside, I'm leaning toward some high end stuff just because my time is so limited and thinking I can get a bunch of years out it before worrying about refinish. As much as I like BLO it's longevity in the elements is limited. If you look at the lifting corbel in the pics you can see how the oak is graying already, about 9 months and it had 3 coats applied before I installed it.

Anyone have any recommendations on a clear finish let me know.

Regards,
Kevin

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home #157  
Cabots, Olympia, and Behr are all 3 reliable products.

I've heard that you don't want to buy wood sealers from Home Despot, because they have a less durable product than other stores - which is how they get the price so low on it.

Tinted sealers have more UV inhibitors, which is what causes the silvering.
occasionally in the spring Olympia will have 6 gallon "bonus pails" for the same price as their 5 gallon pails. (Sam's Club also does "spring deals" but I don't remember the brand)

buying by the gallon you'll spend $20-25 a gallon. Buying 5 gallons at a time you'll spend 10-15 a gallon. Store any leftover product in the basement so it doesn't freeze. (or buy a bucket a month between now and April to spread out the pain)