Timber Frame Tractor Home

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home #31  
cmhyland,

Yur little shed is soooooooo pretty. It is adorable. Love the windows over top of the main door, and the colors, the pitch of the roof, the grills in the windows, jsut everything. It is jsut adorable. Aother really excellent example in this thread about a small building with style. Beautiful job.

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home
cmhyland said:
That little barn is going to be sweet. Sometimes when the building size is right for the property and the style just fits, it all really comes together.

This is our little barn just built last year.

cmhyland:

You have the same idea I do, its all about porportion and detail. When I stand inside the frame its massivness changes its size and the detail I have in my mind will make it fit.

Your barn is very nice and its the details that sets it apart. Did you do a thread about when it was built? I think I remember it.

Regards,
Kevin

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home #33  
Rox,
Thank you for your comments. The little barn is pretty traditional in terms of New England style.

Of corse, if this were France I might have had to build it from field stone!

I've seen a few if those and man they are beautiful... Down south of here they used to build what they called stone enders. The gable ends were stone with post and beam side walls... Really a beautiful look.

So, sighting the building properly, making sure it does not overpower your property and the trim details make for something special.

KHD is building something special.

Regards,
Chris

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home #34  
Kevin,
I did do a thread when we built it....

Your little gem is really going to look nice. From what I see you could have built out much more space for the money, but instead opted for very high quality... It will really show in the end..

I have people stop and come to the house and ask about the our barn...

You will to if people can see it from the road.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Chris

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home #36  
KHD simply put this is one of the coolest DIY projects I have ever seen. I concur with all the positive comments and compliments, Thanks for sharing. - Steve :D

cmhyland said:
Here is a great link to a Barn Building Co.

Check out the galleries for each of the barn stlyes... Lots of great ideas.

Post & Beam Barns, Post & Beam Carriage Houses & Post & Beam Garden Sheds.

Chris:

I sent an e-mail to Country Carpenters when I very first started and never got a return so I moved on but I have had their site bookmarked for years as well as 10's and 10's of other barn related links plus book after book about barns that I have collected over the years.

The only thing that is really in question right now is eaves and soffits because I haven't seen exactly how the rafter tails will lay when erected but that will come.

Right now I am contemplating windows and venting. I picked up a 5 light transom for dirt cheap and right now that will go above the girt on the back wall at about the 10' level. The non-lean-to sidewall is a west exposure that will provide some very nice natural light so I am looking at fixed pane stained glass. There will be one in each bay above the top nailer as I want to keep the height intact by keeping these details up high. I haven't quite found the right ones yet as I am debating simple geometrics vs. ornate. I do know that I am leaning toward red glass as the light produced by it will contrast the golden color of the oak.

I am a huge fan of copper and thought I would like to use it for metal deatil such as gable vents, etc. but have now shyed away as the roof will be galvanized steel so now all metal detail will be galvanized steel plus I really like the look.

Regards,
Kevin

Steverino said:
KHD simply put this is one of the coolest DIY projects I have ever seen. I concur with all the positive comments and compliments, Thanks for sharing. - Steve :D

Thanks Steve

Kevin

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home #39  
Kevin,
On the steel roofing... Is that the standing seam metal? If so you can get that stuff in lots of nice colors... My neighbor did an outstanding barn with it and the roof is green... Really nice. I think it runs about $300 a sq. But it's good for like 75 years.

Metal Shingles - Steel Shingles from Metal Roofing Wholesalers

Copper really ages nicely... I'm going to put up a tastefully sized Coupola with a copper roof and weathervane...

Take a look...

Country Cupolas - The Country Gentleman ® - An American Tradition.

When I say tastefully sized, of corse I mean approved by my wife...

Regards,
Chris

/ Timber Frame Tractor Home #40  
WOW! Thats a great project and an outstanding barn. I had questions but they were all already asked before me.

Looking forward to see the progress.