CUT Box Blade Newbie - Road Pictures

/ CUT Box Blade Newbie - Road Pictures
I inspected the road this past weekend. It has held up very well. I'm very pleased. It has packed down very hard. The winter rains did not cause any ruts. I could see marks where the rain has been running sideways off the road, not down it. After the spring is finished I'll have gravel put down.

I have one spot in the road that still needs some work. There's a large rock beside the road which prevents a good ditch between the road and the rock. Water runs down the ditch along the road. When the water reaches the rock it soaks into the road and keeps the road wet after damp weather. The ditch funnels away from the road at this point but is clogged up. I'm hoping that after I clean out the ditch, that this spot in the road will stop being soft after it rains.

We finally got a farm gate put up on the road. I'm trying to keep out uninvited traffic (i.e. 4 wheelers, partiers, etc.) to minimize potential liability lawsuits. The gate is a little over a foot off the ground at the lowest spot to make room for gravel.

As you can see from the pictures, the road drops off steeply on the right side. I need to raise the road on the right side about a foot.

Attachments

• IMG_0676.JPG
    IMG_0676.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 230
There were a couple of existing piles of dirt by the road that I made use of.

Attachments

• IMG_0679.JPG
    IMG_0679.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0680.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 192
I started out by dragging these piles to the gate.

Attachments

• IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 189
When the existing piles of dirt ran out, I worked on creating a swale to run water down the hill on the right side of the road. I dragged to the gate the dirt from the swale area.

Attachments

• IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 203
Once I dragged the dirt to the gate, I backed the box blade using it like a bulldozer to push the dirt to the back side of the gate/fence.

Attachments

• IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 194
I had to use a pitch fork and shovel to level the dirt on the back side of the gate/fence. I can't get over there with the tractor. Now that I have the tractor, I'm amazed at how long it takes to manually move the smallest amount of dirt by hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 206
This picture shows approximately how high I raised the road level.

Attachments

• IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 232
Here's a view of the area along side of the road I used for more fill dirt. Look at the dark path on the other side of the road.

Attachments

• IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 209