Best formula for calculating amount of lumber needed

/ Best formula for calculating amount of lumber needed #1  

StevenPaul

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2010 (Kranky), JD 4500
Hello most knowledgable of all knowledge TBN'ers,

Quick question for the "builder brainiacs", how much wood could a wood chuck chuck wood if a wood chuck could chuck wood? Ooops, wrong question.

Seriously though, is there a "best" formula for calculating the amount of lumber needed to build a building? We have 3 buildings that we are planning to build this year, hopefully, a chicken house, a workshop, and a roadside market. The chicken house will be our first "experimental" build and it's going to be a 16x48 with one 16x8 room, another 16x8 room and the rest will be for the chickens. We're wanting it to be off the ground, with a grating type floor, on a slight grade so when they poop, we can harvest the chicken poop for fertilizer for the garden. I was thinking of "pole barn" style of building, yet with it being off the ground, is that the best way to go, or do we build like a stick built house and just use framed type walls. We plan on using "ruff-cut" wood from our nearby sawmill. Last time we checked he was charging $375 for 1000 square feet of wood. We bought the "how to build a pole barn" book which is not a bad book and pretty informative and easy to follow. I know there's tons of info on other people's barn projects and maybe I missed it but I haven't seen a "formula" for estimating lumber cost.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as always,
Steve

/ Best formula for calculating amount of lumber needed #2  
If you have drawings you can take it to any lumber yard (even the box stores have a pro desk) They'll do a take off and give you a quote on materials.

/ Best formula for calculating amount of lumber needed #3  
When I guestimate studs for walls on 16" centers, 1pc per running foot of wall. Floor joists, meeting in the middle, figure by count or 1.7 times one load bering side. Say 30' x 45' building, 1.7x45' =76.5 pc
Counting method;
45 x 12"= 540"
540" /16" on center =33.75=34 pc per side
2 sides, 68 pc.

Band board;
2(3 per side) and 2 for the end=8pc ( you only count the end band board once)
68 +8=76 pc

Your milage may vary with different configurations