Fun with Plasma cutter

/ Fun with Plasma cutter #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
Doing a side project for a company I work with on occasion. 77" X 19" X 3/8" plate steel. two 1/2" holes to bolt to the floor, two 3.5" radius circles cut out the other side.

Man, the plasma is nice for doing things like this. Template is 1/4" scrap plywood. Pakmaster 50 with the high performance drag tip.

Lots of 4 1/2" grinder work dressing the sheared edges.

4 done tonight, 2 more to do, then I have to paint them... I hate painting.

They have a little bow from the shearing, not sure if I will try and take that out or not, probably call the customer and ask what they think tomorrow.

One day, I will have a bigger shop, we are taking an important step towards that by buying a new house with LAND....

Attachments

• DSCN1771.JPG
    DSCN1771.JPG
    379.9 KB · Views: 913
  • DSCN1772.JPG
    DSCN1772.JPG
    398.9 KB · Views: 1,119
  • DSCN1773.JPG
    DSCN1773.JPG
    398.7 KB · Views: 762
   / Fun with Plasma cutter #2  
Alan,

Great pics!! I'm plasma deprived and one day would like to change that. hahaha

How about a little info on your plasma cutter? Who makes it, where did you get it and is it one you'd recomend?

Eddie

/ Fun with Plasma cutter
Thermal dynamics, Pak 50, several years old and not current any more, bought it for my dad about 8 or 9 years ago (I think) and when he got a new Lincoln Plasma, he gave me this one.

Between the two
Lincoln is better for rough crude work, cutting in angles, cutting pipe, the tips are more protected and last better.
The TD Pakmaster is finer, more precise, better for pattern work, but a bit more finicky. Doing artwork, decorative stuff, flat stuff it is better.

Really though it is a toss up. What type work are you doing? If I had to guess, and tell you to go buy a Plasma today, and the work I see you doing, I would tell you to go buy the Lincoln.

I think I will end up with a Lincoln if the next deal comes through, and Dad will probably grab the Pakmaster back.

/ Fun with Plasma cutter #4  
Hey Alan,

I'd really love to get a Plasma cutter today, but Steph is the one pushing for it. She saw Havey use his and has wanted one ever since. When the park is about done, I'll need it for my signs. I've already priced what it will cost to have everything cut for just the front sign at $1,200. So instead, I'll buy a plasma cutter, make Steph happy and have a tool.

This is still a year or so away, so I'm just casually looking and asking questions when i see guys like you who have them. Prices are droping with more features and better quality, so the wait isn't all bad.

Thanks for the help,
Eddie

/ Fun with Plasma cutter
They are very much like tractors, Big dealers, JD, NH, (Lincoln and Miller) all the way to Chinese stuff.

Also many of the good dealers will let you demo stuff, or hook you up with a shop that will.

Not sure if you made your Florida trip yet or not? But if you go down there I can hook you up with my dad, Pretty much any type of welding you want to play with is sitting there ready to run at his shop. From a 1/2" capacity plasma to I think the big one is a 1" cut 4" sever (it is scary when it runs) you can also run TIG, MIG, OXY Fuel, Stick etc. Only thing he does not have is Subarc and robotic and I think that is a matter of time for him ;) Just kidding.

What you really want to consider though is how shielded the tip is, and if you want to do pattern cutting etc. I am looking into a computer controlled table... I have bumped into a guy that is a manager for a corporation that makes XYZ router tables and we have been helping each other back and forth.

NOW THAT would be cool to have set up and running.

/ Fun with Plasma cutter
As usual, things go slower then I would like, but here we are in the painting stages, and it is just taking forever to dry in my cold shop.

Called my paint guy (I love saying that,,,, I got people, ya, right :) ) anyway, called my paint guy and told him what I was doing and a box with all the parts showed up. Quart of primer, quart of paint, cool little baby roller, little baby roller screen etc.

It was actually pretty bearable with all the right tools and materials right at hand. Cost me about $30 which kills me in some ways, BUT, it sure was nice to just have it all, and have the right stuff, not sitting there saying, well, a 4" is what I need but this 12" will work etc.

VERY little waste, Toss about $5 worth of supplies (roller covers, bucket etc) in the trash when I am done.... Not quite "green" cleanup but works for me, and get this project out of my shop! Although I believe there is a bunch of painting in my immediate future...........

Attachments

• DSCN1775.JPG
    DSCN1775.JPG
    433 KB · Views: 469
   / Fun with Plasma cutter #7  
I just finished the electrical connections to my computer-controlled plasma table. I had a smaller unit that I ran for a couple of years. Then I bought this bigger, better setup.

This is its first warm-up file (without cutting)

100in/min

660in/min

/ Fun with Plasma cutter
Crap, you would have to show me that! Man, I would love that, but it is just not in the cards at the moment.

I did deliver the job with those plates this morning about 6am. They called about 10 and had them all in place, and everything fit perfect and they were very happy. That is always a relief, especially when working from others drawings and dimensions.

RAW, where in Georgia are you at? My acquaintance is in Atlanta he is with these folks

CNC Routers, CNC Router Solutions, CNC Router Applications - AXYZ Automation

I just got a care package of some neat aluminum exhaust pieces for the funky motorcycles we ride. It was funny, he made up his, and I was commenting how nice and cool they were, he said, Hmmmm let me see the advantage of CNC etc. is ...... Oh, easy quick and repeatable. Will mail you a set....

Where did the smaller unit go?

I have a buddy with a big table that runs a AC sheetmetal shop. I would love to play on that thing, but it is a bread and butter machine, not something that I want to go Oooopppppppps on anytime.

/ Fun with Plasma cutter #9  
I'm eastnortheast of Atlanta right now.
But my shop (and where I'm moving) is in the WNC mountains.

I sold the smaller table to make way for this one. I probably should have waited, as it took me a year to get this new one up and running. Mostly because of building the new house and all of its associated headache.

The smaller table was a Plasmacam. It was pretty decent, but not nearly as nice as this new machine from Dynatorch. Plus, Dynatorch's people are very helpful. Plasmacam is kind of tough to deal with.

/ Fun with Plasma cutter #10  
Have a hyperthertm power max 600 , 40 amp Use it for weld work and art work for gifts . Nice toy go to critters from the hood and see a neat gal making $$$ and having fun