TSC 1-man PHD and concrete question

/ TSC 1-man PHD and concrete question #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
2 questions.

Anyone here have the 1-man gas powered PHD / auger from TSC? if so.. did you get the 6" or the 8" auger? And how did it work?

I've got lots of fencing to do in the next couple years.. and I ain't hand digging them. 6" auger would be just barely adequate depending on post size.. 8" would be great. but wonder if it will run 8". I don't think the 2 man unit is an option cause I will be alone.. etc. and don't want to lug a huge phd head all the time.

Next question. I mixed up a bunch of sak-crete in a bucket for a weight tub. Normally when i do this it sets up pretty fast. I mixed it up around 6pm yesterday.. and it set.. but the top 1" of it is still.. soft-ish... Did i use too much water? if so.. will it still set.. but take longer? ( that would be ok.. as long as it does setup eventually.

Soundguy

/ TSC 1-man PHD and concrete question #2  
I don't care for the two man PHD so the one man is out of the question for me. Maybe if your soil is very soft, sandy, loamy it could work but, if not, I'd go another way. Why not get a tractor mounted PHD? Not as good as a skidsteer mounted but much better than standing there taking a beating. I hope you have some be-hind cause you're going to need it to run one of those for any good portion of a day.

I think the concrete will set up. Sometimes if you dump it fast or with some drop distance the aggregate separates some and goes towards the bottom of the pour and the other ingredients remain at the surface. That can make the surface a little weak but it should still harden. Don't think that or too much water are your problem though. If you poured into a sealed tub and didn't have a water pond form on top (some limited ponding while curing is normal in a liquid tight vessel) I think it's just the water working it's way out the only way it can go... up. So that surface could be soft for a day or two. No worries IMO.

/ TSC 1-man PHD and concrete question #3  
SoundGuy,
Can't answer the PHD question but Sakrete doesn't really need to be mixed, just dump the dry mix where you want it and pour on a little water. It will set up just fine. The extra water on the top of your mix will evaporate off sooner or later but the concrete will not be as strong as if the correct amount of water was used.

/ TSC 1-man PHD and concrete question #4  
Soundguy,

I agree with bugstuck in regard to considering the 3PH mounted PHD. I bought one form TSC, mounted it on my TC30, and have been very happy with the results. I followed the advice of several TBN regulars and bought a larger auger than I thought I needed. I thought a 9incher would be plenty for making post holes, but based on the advice I saw here, I bought a 12 inch auger. The 12 incher is the way to go.

Hope this helps,

Paul

/ TSC 1-man PHD and concrete question #5  
Soundguy - I've used the TSC 1 man PHD w/a 6" auger. Pretty easy to use even in our clay soils here in WKY. I'm guessing you have mostly sand in FL so it'd be even easier for you. The auger powerhead & flight is pretty light & easy to move around & drill. I'd think an 8" auger wouldn't be much more difficult to use & our store offers that size.

It sounds like your concrete has a little too much water & that's why it is taking longer for the top to setup. The concrete will evenutally fully cure & use up all the water & get hard. However, the top will be weaker & easier to spall. Bad in a floor slab but in a weight tub that is likely not much of a concern. For a variety of reasons large solid masses of concrete take longer to cure than small/thin ones.

/ TSC 1-man PHD and concrete question
Thanks for the info guys.

Here are some followup answers.

I had considered a 3pt auger.. but at least3/4 of my fencing will either be in woods, or along another fenceline that I am not allowed to 'share' thus putting my own fence up.. so the tractor auger will be out of the question.

Also.. 960.. I've done the sakcrete in a hole with some water before.. but since this was a weight tub i was building.. i had to dump a bag, add water, and mix, then keep going till I had the tub full ( many bags! ).

There was som liquid 'creme' at the top. but no huge lakes or ponds.. yes.. some extra water.. but just in limited area. Sounds like it is just taking a bit extra to set, and water can only leave thru top.. and perhaps some agragate did settle. No biggie if top 1 inch or 1/2 inch is a tad week.. it's just a counterweight.

thanks

soundguy

/ TSC 1-man PHD and concrete question #7  
There are some one man PHD that are mounted on wheels. One of the rental shops here in town has one.

/ TSC 1-man PHD and concrete question
I've seen those .. they look pricey.. nd I'm a tad cheap! ( actually.. i worry about clearance in the woods. I must have at least 700-8001 of fencing t run right thru a heavilly wooded area that i won't be able to get equipment closer than say.. 60' So I'll be hauling posts in by hand. The wire ought to be fun.. Havn't figured that one out yet..

Soundguy

/ TSC 1-man PHD and concrete question #9  
I used my buddy's 6" auger for my fence and it worked OK. You sure take beating - this was in virginia clay with plenty of rocks and roots. I done a part in April - for the second part in summer I just hand dug it - it was too hard for the auger.

Also the cutting blade was really warned out - I made a new one from a mawer blade and from what I heard it works much better now.

If I had a long fence to put in I would definitely go with 3pt mounted, the hand held one is just nasty on your hands and I am not exactly small guy.

/ TSC 1-man PHD and concrete question #10  
With all the tractors you have, I'd get a 3ph mounted PHD. My neighbor used one with about a 12" or 18" auger on his JD 4310 to plant a whole bunch of trees.

Once used a 2 man PHD. It'll give you a jolt if you hit a rock. Just have to back out and bring in a digger bar to get the rock out. Whereas, a tractor rig might take the jolt and bring the rock right up.

Ralph