Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 HST

Default ATV Dolly question

I've been making dollies to store things more effectively in my tractor barn (PHD, grapple, FEL bucket). I saw this ATV dolly at Northern Tool BAC Industries ATV Universal Dolly 1000-Lb. Capacity |Dollies | Northern Tool + Equipment

At $50 it seems easier to buy rather than make this one.

Has anyone used/made an ATV dolly? How would you get the ATV up on them without having them roll away?
    Kubota L5030HST, LA853 FEL w/ HD bucket, BH90 backhoe, Bush Hog 286, WR Long Grapple

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK25

Default Re: ATV Dolly question

I've never used them, seems quite simple, jack it up and slid the dolly unneath.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 HST

Quote Originally Posted by tina
    I've never used them, seems quite simple, jack it up and slid the dolly unneath.
    I guess I was looking for something I could drive the ATV up on and then roll it around the barn. Didn't want to mess with a jack.
    Kubota L5030HST, LA853 FEL w/ HD bucket, BH90 backhoe, Bush Hog 286, WR Long Grapple

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

How about a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood with casters on the corners and a small removable ramp kinda like a trailer with the fold up or removable ramp. You should have less $$ and it would be better and lots of things will fit a sheet of plywood to be moved around your shop.
    Jim
    Click here for my current weather

Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    PDF files don't like me !!
    Making a F-550 Pick Up thread
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

We use the skidoo dollies frequently. Lift the back end and kick the dolly under, then the skis. It helps to have two people and you need a smooth floor in the workshop. I have a dirt floor in the barn so I move the forks together so they just straddle the track, slip on the extensions(the forks are round bar, the extensions 8' of square tube) and pick up the sled from the rear. My ATV gets driven to its parking spot. I also have a stack of skids that I use for tires, the snow blower etc.

Tractor
    Kubota L3130DT

You could get one of the ATV/motorcycle jacks and kill 2 birds with one stone. Use the jack when needed to work on the ATV and jack it up and roll it around in the shop to use as a dolly. Just don't buy one of the cheapo ones from Homier etc. like I did. Buy a better quality name brand one. Craftsman has one, Northern tool probably does too.

*Edit* Here's one from Northern that uses air to lift. There are some that use a hydraulic bottle jack.

Tractor
    IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel

Doesn't your "ATV" have wheels on it? Duh. , sorry, couldn't resist.
    Praise is not something you do to get closer to God, praise is a response to God being close to you.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5030 HST

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT
    Doesn't your "ATV" have wheels on it? Duh. , sorry, couldn't resist.
    I was waiting for someone to say that. Not sure why but it's a pain to roll around. Doesn't roll as easy as you think. It would be much easier to move with dolly wheels under it. And, since I'm trying to maximize space, a dolly would allow me to move sideways too.

Tractor
    IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel

What about some of the little potted plant "coasters" used on porches to wheel around large plants? One under each wheel, probably cost $5 each. May take two people, don't know how hard it is to pick up a corner at a time, or as someone said, use a jack. Leverage is a good thing, stick a 2x4 or piece of pipe over a cinder block.
    Praise is not something you do to get closer to God, praise is a response to God being close to you.

Tractor
    Looking again

I would be willing to try the plant coasters first. If it doesn't work then return them. I think that you couldn't build the 4 dollies for less than what Northern Tool is selling them for, especially with how much 16 casters are going to cost. Or you could order this ATV/motorcycle jack from Sears for $10 more. also can be used as a dolly.

Craftsman 34612 Motorcycle/ATV Jack at Sears.com

How about using the jack to lift the ATV then sliding the plant coasters underneath. Then you could use the jack for something else. May need another ATV to make the jack worthwhile. I would try that excuse on my wife.