Stihl 460

/ Stihl 460 #1  

keving

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 7040HDC
I have to say that after a ton of research, I chose the Stihl MS460 with a 25 inch bar. This saw rocks!!! It makes short work of seasoned black locust. It is an awesome saw. I have about 6 tanks through this thing and I couldn't be more impressed with the power and balance. Your experience?

/ Stihl 460 #2  
I have a 30 year old Stihl that just keeps on ticking. I'm thinking of getting a new larger model this summer.

/ Stihl 460 #3  
RedRocker said:
I have a 30 year old Stihl that just keeps on ticking. I'm thinking of getting a new larger model this summer.

Mornin Red,
Ive owned a Stihl for many years, and cut at least 6 cord every year and that saw just keeps on plugging away :) Oh yeah, I had to buy a new air filter, but thats about it ! ;)

/ Stihl 460 #4  
keving said:
I have to say that after a ton of research, I chose the Stihl MS460 with a 25 inch bar. This saw rocks!!! It makes short work of seasoned black locust. It is an awesome saw. I have about 6 tanks through this thing and I couldn't be more impressed with the power and balance. Your experience?

I think you made the right choice, but then again, I sell them!!

I like the fact that you mentioned that you did a ton of research though because that puts you in the educated consumer catagory and gives your choice more credit in my book!

For my current market, the 460 is the biggest saw that I stock and people always report back to me that they absolutely love that saw! The new 441 is also really popular. My favorite little big saw is the 361 but my cutting needs aren't that demanding and I like a lighter weight saw.

So, what was it that put the Stihl in your hands?

Ken

/ Stihl 460 #5  
is it my imagination or are all the stihl saws these days physically larger than what they used to.

Ive been looking for something to replacy my 010av and even the "entry level" saws seem to be quite a bit larger than i remember "small saws" being.

my 039 keeps pluggin away. I love it for the big cutting.

perhaps just a good tuneup on my 010 would have it back in my good graces again.

/ Stihl 460 #6  
I have been cutting my own cord wood for 34 years. I have owned only two saws the first was an 031. That finally died and I replaced it about 10 years ago with an 034. I use fresh gas and they always keep running.:D

RPK

/ Stihl 460 #7  
I cant say enough good things about stihl chainsaws, owning a 026 and a 290. The 026 is easier on the arms after a day of cutting firewood,the 290 is about 3lbs heavier.

/ Stihl 460 #8  
I used a McCulloch 10-10-automatic for many years. The guy who I got parts from quit selling McCulloch when they went cheap and became available in the box stores, but he kept me in what parts I needed as long as he could. The last part I got for the thing was a chain brake through internet, which he couldn't do since he's Amish. While I was in the store, he told me I needed a Stihl.

I talked with him a bit, and he finally told me that I could buy a 290, take it home, run 2 tanks through it, and if that wasn't enough to convince me that I needed to keep it he would take it back and give me a full refund. He also said that after I used it a bit I would only use the McCulloch if I got the Stihl stuck in a tree.

He was right on both counts. I start the McCulloch once in a while jsut to keep it working, but have only needed it once. I kept the Stihl, have used it to clean up tops from in excess of 100 hardwood trees that become logs. The tops were cut for firewood and I'm on the 3rd bar for the saw. Other than bar, chain, and sprocket, the thing just runs.

Fresh gas is very important. The Amish guy sells the 2 cycle oil in the small bottles. He carries the big 2 1/2 gallon mix bottles, but he doesn't like to sell those to anyone except the logging crews, explaining that the small bottles assure that his customers are using fresher gas since they only mix a gallon at at time.

/ Stihl 460 #9  
I have a 046 magnum (I think this is the older version of yours). I have about 15 chains for the 25" bar, and 1 chain for the 36" bar. Cut up a 45"+ oak last week for firewood. Took less than 3 minutes per slice. Loading those discs was another story in itself. My friend was there with his 039 and he gave up and sat back and watched the big saw make quick work of it. 6 hp is awesome!! Also have a 026 and a 036 and I have had few if any problems. (oiler doesn't seem to put out enough oil on the 36" bar so I help out with a squirt of oil every now and then to help keep it running cool)