Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    DK35

Default Re: Stall Fronts

The big problem with sliding doors are the people useing them. Half open and a horse that wants out usually means a new door. b

Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota M105,B21,Cat D6B

Eddie,
    A place just west of Paris Tx. on Hwy 82, Metro Gate makes some great all steel stalls (galv.) With swing out doors, all solid or with upper jail bars. I bought 2, 5 years ago still look like new. They were about $500 per stall (then) or you could buy just the front with the door for about $240. They send them out by the semi load every day, but treated my little sale like it was the only one they had. You might give them a call, not that far from Tyler.
    Jack
    It's a TOOL! Need has NOTHING to do with it.

Tractor
    NH TC45D

Hmmmmmm, I guess you haven't looked at the Priefert stall fronts or the knockoffs similar to them at TSC.
    Reading through the thread, I was interested at the different opinions folks had about stall fronts. wroughtn_harv's experience is much like mine...I built a number of stalls last year, and we bought Priefert fronts because they were on sale at our local farm store, and it was less expensive than most other alternatives. We put up 3 12x12 stalls w/ feeder doors for just over $1000. We could've done them a little cheaper, but the Prieferts were priced right (for us) and were well made.

As far as looking at recommendations on door types goes,...go look in a barn @ a race track or in a show arena...the pros use the stuff that is proven... I think you'll find that sliding doors are the norm.
    Bob
    "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Tractor
    NH TC40DA

We used Priefert on our 6 stall horse barn. While it's early we like the doors so far. they have a hook on the bottom to keep the door from being pushed out when opened & have tabs on the top @ the rollers to keep the door from being lifted up & off. They are also reversable w/almost no effort so you can get the doors on each side of the aisle on the same side as the other. See photos of the installation in projects under "WKY Horse Barn"

Tractor
    Kubota's, John Deere's

Quote Originally Posted by volcamp
    I am in the planning stage of doing a makeover for our horse barn. I was looking for new stall fronts and the prices for commercially made fronts is rediculous. I was wondering if anyone had any experience and suggestions on making your own. I would like to have 4' sliding access doors. Any help on designs/materials would be most appreciated.
    We converted a dairy barn to a horse barn, well still in progress. I ordered some stall kit parts from Woodstar Horse Stalls By Woodstar, Horse Stall Manufacturer, Equine Accessories, Horse Equipment.. I too was turned off by the cost, but then time and materials forced me to rethink building my own. So I did, and have been very, very pleased with the results.

The interesting thing for you would be that you could just order the doors or bars, or whatever piece you may need, to keep your costs inline or in budget.

Good luck.
    -Mike Z.

Here is part of my finished project.

Stalls and Offices

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12