Well Drilling - North Texas

/ Well Drilling - North Texas #1  

slappie

Guys,

I live about 25 miles north of Dallas in Prosper Texas.

I want to get a well dug for irrigation purposes, and they are quoting about 800 feet as the depth they need to go to.

$30-40 per foot is what the local companies want for drilling.

Does anyone know of any cheaper drillers that would work in my area.

I've got 13 neighbors that want wells also, and we've tried calling some East Texas well diggers that are about 1/2 that price but they say they've got enough work to last them out where they are.

I really don't want to spend that much on a well but then again I don't want $800 water bills either without the well.

Thanks

/ Well Drilling - North Texas #2  
Yep, well drillers have you by the nads, always. What I did was offer a flat fee, to a guy 9 he came down about 5k, because I said, no hurry,and you can dig on weekends, or off days. Still I went down 500ft, and it cost me 20K.

I would suggest sharing a well, but I did that with my neighbor and it was a disaster. It cause such a war that we both drilled two wells 100ft apart from each other at 20k each, the driller was happy. Actually I'm also happy as I don't have to get the neighbors opinion or approval for anything I do to the well, it's done my way.

/ Well Drilling - North Texas #3  
800 feet. Shoot, you just might hit oil and end up making money on this deal. :)

/ Well Drilling - North Texas #4  
Sorry Diesel Power I may be way off base but and all my kin that used to be wild catters are out of business ( and broke ) but i think/bet all the shallow oil in Texas was pumped out long ago. I guess you got to go ten times 800 or better for any new oil. And it is about $20 or so around here for the first 400 and then it goes to $22 or so and bet after 600 it really goes up so $30 or 40 for 800ft does not seem out of place. glad I don't have to dig it.

/ Well Drilling - North Texas #5  
Slappie,
I had a 480ft well drilled 2 years ago by Double J Waterwell Drilling from Grosbeck Tx, Phone 254-625-0965,254-729-3762 Jimmy Lenamond, I dont know if he will come to North Texas but I do know he was the most honest well driller I met when I was looking. I had bids anywhere from $5600.00 to $12500.00, the East Tx drillers were the most expensive. I had some tell me they would have to go 700 to 800 ft to hit good water. Double J was the bid for $5600.00 and he told me he would hit good water between 400 to 500 ft. Good luck on your quest.

/ Well Drilling - North Texas #6  
slappie said:
Guys,

I want to get a well dug for irrigation purposes, and they are quoting about 800 feet as the depth they need to go to.

I've got 13 neighbors that want wells also, and we've tried calling some East Texas well diggers that are about 1/2 that price but they say they've got enough work to last them out where they are.

I really don't want to spend that much on a well but then again I don't want $800 water bills either without the well.

Thanks

This might sound funny, but your hole and the 13 other holes are going to cost $400,000. Why not buy a well rig?

/ Well Drilling - North Texas #7  

This sounds like a business opportunity to me.

/ Well Drilling - North Texas #8  
I have just what you need, a directional drilling rig it would not take much work to stand it upright. comes with 550'drill stem. cheap need to move it. drill your own well and one other will pay for it.

/ Well Drilling - North Texas #9  
true temper said:
I have just what you need, a directional drilling rig it would not take much work to stand it upright. comes with 550'drill stem. cheap need to move it. drill your own well and one other will pay for it.

That's an image for you, watching a fella ride sideways on a directional rig going down instead of horizontally. The only thing more hilarious than that would be watching someone trying to get a reading on the head after four lengths of rod is in the ground.

I was once asked by a telco to justify using a directional bore instead of open trench for a cable installation. "Subterranean congestion" worked.

Getting back on topic about the cost of well drilling, I don't believe the water well drillers are any different from the rest of us contractors. They're not out there to rip people off, they're only trying to be compensated for their investments and the costs of doing business.

If they had a gold mine I can tell you that every boy with a father would be out there buying a rig and going into the well drilling business.

/ Well Drilling - North Texas #10  
slappie said:
Guys,

Thanks

Ah yes...Prosper. I used to have an uncle who lived right across the street from the water tower back in the '60s when Prosper was just a tiny little town up on the side of the hill just north of Hwy 24 (what Hwy 380 used to be). Things have changed a bit since then, huh?

I live pretty darn far west of you in Wise County. We have good water from the Trinity sands here at about 400'. My well drilled about 6 years ago was $10 per foot plus the pump and tank. I'm sure it's a lot more expensive now, but your quote sure sounds expensive to me. I think you'll also hit good water before you get to 600 feet too.

You can give this guy a call. He is the waterwell expert in Wise County. He and his son run two drill rigs and he really knows wells. His name is Larry Bisidas and his business number is 940-627-3858. If he can't do it, he may be able to make a recommendation in your area. Also, Pete Pockrus used to have a waterwell drilling company in Denton, but I think Pete has been gone for years. What I'm thinking is that someone in Denton County might be more reasonable than your quote. A yellow page search might come up with a source. Good luck!