Large Bush Transplant

/ Large Bush Transplant #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
I'm moving some of my bushes. Has anyone transplanted large bushes with success? I'll find out how I did in a couple of months with this youpon.

Attachments

• transplanting 1FEL.jpg
    transplanting 1FEL.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 797
  • traqnsplant 2.jpg
    traqnsplant 2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 517
   / Large Bush Transplant #2  
I've not transplanted anything that size, but I guess if once it's in place just water in good, and maybe a dose of fertilizer to help with it to take root. The dirt doctor might have some tips (Al Carrol or whatever his name is).

/ Large Bush Transplant #3  
As a retired arborist, I'll offer a few suggestions.
1. Make sure the roots make good contact with the soil,tamp it down.
2. Build a earth dam around the transplant hole to retain water.
3. Water well for the next several months.
4. Do not fertilize this year. The roots were damaged in the move and fertilizer will burn the injured roots.
5. If some of the branches die, prune them back, don't prune unless necessary as the shrub can use all the photosynthesis it can get.

/ Large Bush Transplant #4  
Don - yaupons don't transplant worth a hoot --but good luck. I'm going to bet that the answer is "Karen" ....but the question I have is "Why?" I hate those weeds.

/ Large Bush Transplant
Wrong Mike,:D the answer is: it is a native evergreen, it's free and it's a challenge both to see if I could pick it up and if it will survive! It also hides Karen's ugly fence. (Which she says hides my ugly lean-to.) She didn't even know I was going to move it.:p
Also, encouraging were the 12' cedar trees I dug up and transplanted two months ago, they are still doing good. Now that you have a BH you can do it too, Just BH three sides, dig a ramp below the roots, strap it to the bucket, lift, tilt and reverse and wallah free landscape vegetation. Oh - don't forget to dig a hole where you are going to put it first.:rolleyes:

/ Large Bush Transplant #6  
I transplanted 4 or 5 8~12' scotch pines. then promptly had a 2 months with very low rain fall and they all died. :( oh well they were going to be cut by the power company and I learned that they have a pretty good tap root and very soft roots :( wasted a full day but had some fun with the backhoe & FEL and woman was in on it too. ;)

mark M

/ Large Bush Transplant #7  
Don, you don't want any help from me on planting anything. I can't get anything but okra to grow. New location looks good and I hope is works out.

James

/ Large Bush Transplant #8  
I got in on a deal at a Blueberry farm that was closing and going to be developed. Ended up with 131 full size blueberry bushes that I planted in a low area along the fence on a piece of property I used to own in Switzerland, Fl. I also planted a holly tree and a cut off stump the owner told me to dig up and plant (stump grew into a fig tree). A ten foot Holley tree stayed green for almost a year before dying.
When I sold the property, I dug up a Gardenia bush that was about 30 years old and planted it in the front yard here.It is still thriving. I do love that smell!
I went back by the Switzerland property a couple months ago, and the next door neighbor came out to see what I was doing. He had recently purchased, so didn't know me. He mentioned that there was a bunch of wild huckleberrys along the fence that his wife made into a pie. I smiled as I told him that the wild huckleberry's were actually a very domesticated blueberry bush,transplanted by me. He was very surprised.
I transplanted a couple of large Sago palms, that took a lot of work. The fact that they didn't make it really bothered me and I left the dead hulls as a monument to all the work I did. Four years later, one just up and sprouted and has been doing fine ever since. The other, has a couple of babies sprouting from the bottom, but the top still appears dead. Wife said again this evening that she wanted it gone. I just shook my head knowingly.
David from jax