Cast Iron Drain Pipe

/ Cast Iron Drain Pipe #11  
Historical? Note. The reason they call plumbing, plumbing is because the Latin word for lead is plumbum. Lead filled joints was what plumbers did. The Roman plumbers used lead lined wooden pipes.

Yes, plumb bobs were named plumb bobs because they started out made of lead (plumbum.)

Pat

/ Cast Iron Drain Pipe #12  
AlanB said:
Can the Fernco or no hub connector be put on horizontal runs or do they need to be on a vertical run of pipe?

Will try and grab a picture today, meant to yesterday.

This is what you guys are saying correct?

Fernco, Inc.

You're okay using the Fernco's horizontally, unless there's a specific code against it in your area. My company just replaced a couple sewer lift stations, the final connection from the old gravity main line to the new line feeding the pump station was a Fernco connector, 8" diameter pipe.

Try and get the pipe ends to touch, the smaller the gap the less "product" getting hung up.

Monte

/ Cast Iron Drain Pipe #13  
I don't know what your inspector wants, but in S F we have to use a stainless steel coupling inside a building. I use proflex brand. these are rubber couplings with a s. steel band protecting it from fire . All rubber mission style couplings are used for the lateral underground. Talk to Your local inspector. good luck

/ Cast Iron Drain Pipe #14  
P S a great plumbing site is Terry loves plumbing forum. We are pretty much all active plumbers working in the trade.