Electrical Panel update New house

/ Electrical Panel update New house #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
Allright, one of the problems with the new house I bought was that it had a Wadsworth circuit box in it, and 40 years of Jack leg electricians adding and removing things along the way. Some of it was marginal, and some was downright scary.

So this morning it looked like the first picture, and after about 8 hours of real hard work by my buddy Dwight, it now looks like this :)

That is a 50 amp outlet for the welder, and a 30 amp for the air compressor.

There is another 30 added in for a dryer now (had a gas dryer before)

The old electrical ceiling heat is now all pulled, as well as the AC window unit plugs and wires.

A heck of a difference one HARD working man made in the safety and functionality of my new house in one day.

Freinds like him are what keep me going. He works seven days a week (yeah, no stuff,) 7 days a week as a lead electrician with a large crew of Guetemalans (he speaks fluent spanish) and took the day off (Sunday) which he normally makes doubletime on, to fix my box up for me.

I could probably not afford to pay him what it was worth, but when I asked what I owed him, he said absolutely nothing, he appreciated all we had done along the way for him....

Things like this make for a real nice day. :)

Attachments

• DSCN1804.JPG
    DSCN1804.JPG
    387.2 KB · Views: 814
  • DSCN1820.JPG
    DSCN1820.JPG
    374.4 KB · Views: 875
  • DSCN1828.JPG
    DSCN1828.JPG
    369.9 KB · Views: 817
   / Electrical Panel update New house #2  
anyone else ever seen flex coper like that used for water heater hookups? :confused:

/ Electrical Panel update New house #3  
Schmism,
The 3/4" copper flex is what was on my water heater in California when I first purchased the house. I swapped it out for the rubber lined stainless steel mesh flex. This didn't work because the of chlorinated city water eating the rubber lining so I went back to the copper flex. It was a standard hook up that came with the water heater installation kit. Not sure what the requirements are now because of the possible change in code due to earthquakes. The natural gas lines had to be flex for the hot water heater.
In Michigan my water lines are rigid copper piped directly to the water heater.
David B

/ Electrical Panel update New house #4  
schmism said:
anyone else ever seen flex coper like that used for water heater hookups? :confused:

Yes, quite common here, especially in the DIY market.

/ Electrical Panel update New house #5  
AlanB said:
Allright, one of the problems with the new house I bought was that it had a Wadsworth circuit box in it, and 40 years of Jack leg electricians adding and removing things along the way. Some of it was marginal, and some was downright scary.

So this morning it looked like the first picture, and after about 8 hours of real hard work by my buddy Dwight, it now looks like this :)

That is a 50 amp outlet for the welder, and a 30 amp for the air compressor.

There is another 30 added in for a dryer now (had a gas dryer before)

The old electrical ceiling heat is now all pulled, as well as the AC window unit plugs and wires.

A heck of a difference one HARD working man made in the safety and functionality of my new house in one day.

Freinds like him are what keep me going. He works seven days a week (yeah, no stuff,) 7 days a week as a lead electrician with a large crew of Guetemalans (he speaks fluent spanish) and took the day off (Sunday) which he normally makes doubletime on, to fix my box up for me.

I could probably not afford to pay him what it was worth, but when I asked what I owed him, he said absolutely nothing, he appreciated all we had done along the way for him....

Things like this make for a real nice day. :)

He did a very nice job.!! :cool:

/ Electrical Panel update New house #6  
Alan, hard for me to get excited about an electrical panel, I trid to share your enthusiasm but I jsut coldn't get all warm and fuzzy. But hey, you seem to like it jsut swell, so cheers to you.

Is that box in the basement/ Do you have a wak out basement? I seem to recal that the garge is under the hosue, is that right?

/ Electrical Panel update New house #7  
Nice clean job!

Only Problem I noticed is you have way too many breakers not installed...............

/ Electrical Panel update New house #8  
Very nice job, I just installed a 200 amp box in my new garage, you can tell the diffrence with some one that knows what they are doing and what I did.

I think I better go back and try to make it look as good as yours.

Nice job

Roger

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 537
   / Electrical Panel update New house
WayneB said:
Nice clean job!

Only Problem I noticed is you have way too many breakers not installed...............

Unfortunately, I think your right, I was sitting here this morning thinking of things I need to add in.... quad box next to the weld plugs for 110, dedicated bathroom 110, ceiling fan for the living room (no current light fixture) So there will be more to come in the future I think.

Still also have to neaten up a bunch of the stuff in the house, new outlets etc.

/ Electrical Panel update New house #10  
Yes, a nice clean job, but tell me more about your panel. It looks like a 3-wire feed (two hots and a "neutral"), which is normal. The thing that looks weired to me is that the branch circut bonding wires are connected to an isolated bus bar. I thought that when utilaizing a 3-wire feed the branch circut "grounds" and "neutals" shared a common bus bar and a bonding screw is then installed to bond the metal cabinet enclosure. Its been a year since I've intalled a mian panel like that so my memory may be fuzzy.....?