Wood shed slowly sinking

/ Wood shed slowly sinking #1  

mscheer772

Silver Member
Tractor
4310 JD 2003
My wood shed is slowly sinking into the ground. I can no longer easily open the shed doors, and the wood is starting to rot.The area it is located in is wet in both spring and fall. I'd like to some how jack it up,slide some round posts under the shed,move the shed off its location,pour concrete, then slide the shed back onto the concrete pad. I do not have access to my tractor(410 miles away) Any suggestions on how to go about this?

The shed is probably 12X12 and shaped like an old wood barn.Its abvout 8 foot high.

HELP!!!!!!!!!

/ Wood shed slowly sinking #2  
Ok .... I'd try this .... I saw my Grandfather do it years ago ... nail a 2x4 along the 2 long sides outside making sure to hit studs inside..... use this to jack it up - jack & block as req'd, ... get it high enough to put some 4" - 6" pipe under the sill plate -pipe long enough to go clear across from one side to the other --- you might be able to use heavy pvc ....If the plate is gone you'll have to crib some more 2x4's along the inside at the bottom to make a temp sill for the studs to rest on. Now set it down on the pipe and roll it back 12 feet, build your slab, and roll it back. Repair what ever needs it while it's jacked & blocked up in the air. He did this with a garage that he was making longer. First step was to take a 7" circular saw and cut the garage in half - just started at the bottom of one side between studs and ran it right over the top to the other side-- then jacked,blocked and rolled half back onto a slab he had already poured and then patched it in the middle.

/ Wood shed slowly sinking #3  
Rolling it away is a risk. Even more because as you say, the barn is already rotting. I'd just jack it up to desired height, level it and pour the lower ends of the barn solid in the concrete slab.

/ Wood shed slowly sinking #4  
   / Wood shed slowly sinking
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Mikim, I like your suggestion about the 2X4s.
I'm thinking about not laying concrete pad(I'm not experienced in concrete,if trucked in,concrete would have to be wheel barreled to location, nosy neighbors and permit issues).

I did go out and measure the shed, it's 10'4inches X 8'2inches and 8 foot high.

Could I possible jack up the shed on two sides, slide 2 inch pipe or 4 inch treated lumber under shed perpidicular to floor joists,lower jacks, then jack up other side and do the same thing.

The shed does have a wood floor.

Any thoughts?

/ Wood shed slowly sinking #6  
HI,
Iam gonna do mine this spring,im burning out the remaining wood.The cinder blocks just keep sinking away[10 cord must weigh alot]With the shed empty its easy to lift with a farm jack.The guy whom i hired to jack our camp[he does this solely for a livin],dug down in strategic locations[under carrying beams],installed crushed rock in the holes,and used 18 inch round pads on top,then made crisscrossed double rows of cinder blocks on top.Place hasnt budged in 2 years.I recall the rock is for drainage ,and to keep frost from heaving.This is the route im gonna go.I think i can dig the outside holes with my little back hoe.Dont try to jack with wood inside.Dont ask me how i know:D :D Apeice of advice,another set of eyes when jacking a building can prevent an accident.I have learned the hard way things can get out of hand in a hurry.A little at a time too.
ALAN

/ Wood shed slowly sinking #7  
I realy like Mikes method of jacking up the shed. Sounds like a really easy way to get it up in the air!!! I might use 2x6's, but otherwise, it's a winner.

Since it's just a shed that I'm assuming doesn't have allot of value, I'd used some PT boards for a foundation. I'm thinking a pair of PT 4x6's laid flat under either end should be a good fix for the next decade or two.

Eddie

/ Wood shed slowly sinking
Well thanks to all the expert advice,I was able to raise the shed,replace the rotted wood,put 4 4X6's under the shed caulk the perimeter and set the wood shed back in place.

I used 2X6's to raise the shed,stone to provide a good base for the bottle jacks,a combination of 1X6's and landscape bricks as cribbing for the bottle jacks.

You guys are awesome.

Thanks again

-Mike-