Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 2520

Default painting rusty tin

My father has a shop around 22 years old. The tin on top has some surface rust and he is wanting to paint in. Does anyone have a suggestion on what type of paint to use. I thought I would ask before he starts experimenting. Thanks, JC
    JD 3320 LX5, KK rake and off brand box and rear blade. Millonzi grapple. Deere X495 for grass cutting.
    01 Ram 4x4 2500 CTD and 22' 12k trailer. Want a tiller and dump trailer.

Platinum Member firefighter9208's Avatar
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota M4800

Default Re: painting rusty tin

JC,

Check with Tractor supply in Cullman. They have a line of paint for barns and roofs. Tractor Supply Company - BPS® HEAVY-DUTY ALUMINUM PAINT

My grandfather has a 100x100 barn that we painted the roof when I was 16. That was 19 years ago and the paint is still good. We did use a specific paint for barn roofs and it has held up well.
    2004 Kubota M4800 with Bushhog M346 Loader with 6' Heavy Duty Bucket and Bale Spear. 6' Bushhog SQ720 Mower, Bushhog RDTH72 Finish Mower. Bushhog 3pth Log Splitter. Andy Tatro Grapple. Home Made 48" pallet forks.

1966 Farmall 140 with cultivators and fertilizer attachment.

1999 F250 LWB Ext. Cab 7.3L Powerstroke, ZF 6 Speed, Chip, Exhaust, Cool Air Intake.

2009 Chevrolet Traverse

1969 Mach1 Mustang 351W. Too much to list.

Tractor
    Ford 8N, Ford 555A, New Holland TM120, New Holland TT60A

Preparation is the key. You either need to remove the existing rust by scraping, sanding, abrading, etc., prime, then paint. This is probably the most economical method, but takes the most time. You can also apply some sort of chemical to "treat" the rust which will leave a phosphate coating so that you can then prime and paint. Additionally you can cover with a paint like substance called por 15 or similar then proceed to paint. Por 15 is expensive so it might not be cost effective.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.

Bet my tin is more rusty than your tin! I need to paint farm building roofs about every ten years... Barn is over due... I will have to pay someone to paint that roof... ain't no way I working at that height. I don't mind painting the machine shed, garage, smokehouse and a couple other roofs.

mark
    red tractor
    blue tractor
    green tractor
    orange tractor
    too many impliments to list

Gold Member

It's far too much work to remove all the rust! Just remove the LOOSE rust by sweeping it with a broom, and then coat it with something that is designed for this purpose. This is assumig that you want a typical aluminum coated roof.

If you want an actual painted roof use a red metal primer on the rusty areas, which is what the steel frames, columns and rafters on a steel building are painted with, and why it's called "red iron". This primer has a very high solids content, and must be well shaken and kept stirred during use to keep the solids in suspension. Then paint it with a good grade of exterior enamel paint made for use on metal, preferably oil based as it will hold up much better in this type of application.

Tractor
    JD 3020, JD 4230, JD 7410, JD 2440, MF 750, NH LS170

I used Texotropic fibered aluminum roof coating the last time I did the barn. You would have to give Curt a call for current pricing.

Tractor
    JD 1025, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010

Use a rust converter to inert the rust to iron sulfide after brushing off any loose rust with a broom or mild steel brush. Rustoleum makes one called Rust Reformer (avail. at Lowes/Home Depot). NAPA's is called Rust Extender. On the Farm Report program on TV, some outfit advertises something called Rust Converter. It's probably the same stuff. Apply it, let sit for a while (usually over night), prime and paint. It's the ONLY thing to use on rust. Rust will eventually come through any kind of paint if it isn't inerted with this material first.

Ralph
    The natural gardener
    God's original intent

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    MF 1455v 4wd, 1040FEL

There's a product called "Ospho" for treating rust. I've used it and it works. A few years ago I found a generic at the local Ace Hardware that was the same chemical, and much cheaper.
    If it was my roof I would spray it with this and then paint with an aluminum paint, but I would think you should do something to stop/slow the rust during the process.
    Massey Ferguson 1455v 4wd, FEL

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 2520

Thanks for the replies. We will start checking in to some of these ideas. JC
    JD 3320 LX5, KK rake and off brand box and rear blade. Millonzi grapple. Deere X495 for grass cutting.
    01 Ram 4x4 2500 CTD and 22' 12k trailer. Want a tiller and dump trailer.