Pond dreaming is over

/ Pond dreaming is over #1  

philbuilt

Gold Member
Tractor
1260 Massey/retired. Mahindra 2555 cab TLB
For many years I have been looking for water front property. So the story of my pond began. Labor day weekend 2005. The start of a pond began with tire rutts from my son four wheelling. The 1st pic is an aerial of the land and plan. #2 is the machine that I used. #3 is the deep spot about 15' at that time.
I know that I posted these pics on Eddies post but, I want to start here with the full story.

Attachments

• land.jpg
    land.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 5,597
  • dirt 002.jpg
    dirt 002.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 5,456
  • dirt 009.jpg
    dirt 009.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 5,639
   / Pond dreaming is over #2  
Hey Phil you have a start and water is coming in already! Look forward to seeing more pictures and reading the progress story.

Wayne

/ Pond dreaming is over
Thanks Wayne,
Next is the piles of dirt. I started at low grade and removed the loam piling in a sort of center spot. With only 16 hrs of rental I wanted to dig as much as possible. pic #1 the loam pile, Pic #2 below grade dirt and start of the shape of the pond. #3 more dirt.#4 moving dirt starts.

Attachments

• dirt 001.JPG
    dirt 001.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 3,607
  • dirt 003.JPG
    dirt 003.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 3,220
  • dirt 002.JPG
    dirt 002.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 3,201
  • loam pile massey.JPG
    loam pile massey.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 3,666
   / Pond dreaming is over
Okay some shots of the pond filling. You may notice that some of the dirt has been smoothed out. The entire hole except was box graded and most of the edges I could drive up. We had about 2 dry week so I was able to grade alot.

Attachments

• filling pond 002.JPG
    filling pond 002.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 3,804
  • filling pond 004.JPG
    filling pond 004.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 3,308
  • filling pond 008.JPG
    filling pond 008.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 3,616
   / Pond dreaming is over
More pond filling pics. and a picture of a rainbow in the back field.

Attachments

• filling pond 007.JPG
    filling pond 007.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 2,821
  • filling pond 008.JPG
    filling pond 008.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 2,563
  • filling pond 009.JPG
    filling pond 009.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 3,394
  • rainbow yard.jpg
    rainbow yard.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 3,409
   / Pond dreaming is over #6  
Nice looking pond you have in the works. Rainbow pic was great.

/ Pond dreaming is over #7  
Great pics and an amazing project. What I'm really wondering is what are you doing with all the dirt that's coming out of your pond? Getting rid of it is usually more work then digging it out!!!!

With those trees and hill in the background, it's gonna look amazing when it'd done. Thanks for sharing.

Eddie

/ Pond dreaming is over
BTDT, Thank you it's fun to look out the window and see the work in progress.

Eddie,
You are correct the dirt jus has to be spread out. I am currently working on the back side of the pond. (the wooded edge) I have been pushing into the woods on the right side. (faceing the woods) the goal is to raise grade by 2' or so. The right side of the pond the grade from natural to the wood s is about a 3' differance. Last summer I spent putting a gravel road to the pond so there wasn't much change. Oct. 06 I bought a taylor-way Bh for the massey.and started putting rocks along the edge of the pond. This will allow me to raise and level grade down and back to the woods. My hope is the water will run away from the pond into the woods to a retention pond that I will build. The soil is a clay silt so the goal for the retention pond is to be all gravel to create a filter. A few pics showing the dirt going into the woods.
I'll post more later
Phil

Attachments

• dirt move1.jpg
    dirt move1.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 3,003
  • dirt move 2.jpg
    dirt move 2.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 3,018
   / Pond dreaming is over #9  
Where are all the car sized boulders like in NH? Looks like playsand. Your are lucky!

/ Pond dreaming is over
Mike,
I'm sad to say "No Rocks" I'm currently bringing them from the street. Its great for digging but not habitat. Thats why I want to make the gravel retention pond for silt filtration.
Phil