Need some plumbing advice (underground)

/ Need some plumbing advice (underground) #1  

Torrak

Tractor
Kubota BX24
Hi,

So here is the problem. My drainpipe for the washing machine broke under our concrete foundation. I have access to tap it into a different septic line that was added simply for the kitchen.

Here is my question:

How do I tap the drainpipe for the washing machine into the line for the septic? The problem I am facing is that the septic line is already firmly into the ground so I cannot simply add a "T" to the line and tap in.

I was thinking of using a hole saw to cut a hole into the side of the septic line, then inserting the washer pipe, and then sealing with some sort of sealant. My theory behind this was there is so little pressure, it should be ok. Am I correct in my thinking?

All advice is welcome!!

Joe

/ Need some plumbing advice (underground) #2  
That might work, but if you ever go to sell the house and that is found in an inspection, you'll be fixing it up to code at that point. Something to keep in mind.

/ Need some plumbing advice (underground) #3  
Code allows for so many fixtures to be drained my a certain sized pipe so you can check on that.

You should add a Y fitting to the pipe you want to drain the waste into. Cut out plenty of the pipe for the wye and about 6 inches extra, then add a stub of pipe to the wye so it will get within 3/4 of an inch of the original length of pipe you cut out. There will still be enough empty room for you to get the y fitting in and glue one end to the original pipe. Before you sldie it in and glue it, slide a wide rubber "patch collar" over the stub on the end of teh wye fitting and glue the wye in place. Now slide the rubber collar over the 3/4 inch gap between the pipes and tigheten the hose clamps.

Using dish soap will help the patch collar slide over the pipes.

/ Need some plumbing advice (underground) #4  
Not sure if this is legal in your area but, if you have a sump pump then you could pipe over to that and then just let the pump discharge the water. This way you will not add any more water than you need to to your septic.

/ Need some plumbing advice (underground) #5  
Not a good idea to put washing machine into the your septic system. The soaps over time will clogg up your leach field. Not to mention, does not pass code. I would worry more about your septic though. I ran mine to a seperate dry well. I would look into something like that. I did a seperate leach field for a friend using enviro chambers and it works great. Very easy install

/ Need some plumbing advice (underground) #6  
dtd24 said:
Not a good idea to put washing machine into the your septic system. The soaps over time will clogg up your leach field. Not to mention, does not pass code. I would worry more about your septic though. I ran mine to a seperate dry well. I would look into something like that. I did a seperate leach field for a friend using enviro chambers and it works great. Very easy install

I am sure it is a regional thing but here we are required to run all grey water through the septic. You are correct that powdered laundry detergent is not great for the leach field. Much of the filler in powdered detergents is the same type of clay used to patch dams.

MarkV

/ Need some plumbing advice (underground)
Thank you all for your advice!

After reading your posts and contacting a few plumbers, I decided to go ahead and hook into the graywater tank.

Following advice from a local pipe supply company and tractorbynet user, Kyerik, I went with a 4" Y with a 2" reducer, then reduced from the PVC to ABS. I then moved our cleanout to the left of this Y pipe, but only because there was no room to the opposite side.

I went ahead and told my wife we are no longer buying powder soap, we are doing only 1 load per day, and I bought some filters for the drainpipe to collect lint before I gets down in the tank.

Awesome advice guys!

pipes.jpg

Oh yeah,

DTD24, I talked to a friend about using those enviro-chambers when we build our new house, I hear they work great!

/ Need some plumbing advice (underground) #9  
Torrak,

It looks very nice.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but it looks like you used santitary T fittings instead of wye (Y) fittings. The T fittings are meant only to be used vertically unless you are using them as vent fittings. You might not have any problems, but the purpose of the wye shaped fitting is to turn the direction of the flow of the horizontally incoming waste so it definitley goes the same direction as the rest of the sewage is supposed to go. That cleanout would work better as a Y fitting as well.

Like I said, you may not have any trouble, but it wouldn't pass an inspection here in KY. I'm not an expert, in fact, when building my new house, I failed my plumbing inspection twice before I got everything right. My inspector was really nice and explained how I needed to correct each mistake.

Here is a wye fitting:
PVC Wyes - PVC Fittings - PVC Pipe Fittings - DWV PVC Fittings

Best wishes!

KYErik,

I just double checked the fittings (haven't buried them yet) and both are the cleanout fittings.

Will that cleanout fitting work as a wye?

Jb