Hardwood Floor Question

/ Hardwood Floor Question #1  

Holzster

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 HST
Hello all;

I have a question about wood floors - I got a bunch of cedar planks (2" X 12" X 16'-20') I got these at a real deal (50% of normal cost).
Now I know cedar dents easy (that OK) & I know cedar is "softer" then other woods, but can I use cedar as a flooring, as I never see it?
I heard maybe there is a reson of some kind in cedar that can be harmfull if you get a sliver in you. The 2" thickness is no issue as I am going to get them (if I can use cedar) planked in half to get 2 - 1" peices (or just short of 1" each) & get the tonged & grooved.

/ Hardwood Floor Question #2  
A neighbor put resawed cedar on their (sloped) ceiling and added several thousands to the value or their home. It was 2" salvaged from bleacher seats salvaged from a revamped high school. resawed to 1" (similar to what you propose.) My opinion is cedar is too soft for flooring, use it for cabinets or other architectural affect, not for a wearing surface. Good hardwood flooring is cheap and prefinished.

/ Hardwood Floor Question #3  
Holzster said:
Hello all;
but can I use cedar as a flooring, as I never see it?

Did you mean to say that you want to use it as a sub-flooring since you will never see it?

Maybe you can make fence boards if the flooring doesn't work out.

/ Hardwood Floor Question #4  
I wouldn't recommend cedar for flooring. Much too soft and easily bruised it just wouldn't wear well. Sawn or planed it looks great for trim inside or out and is very weather durable. It also looks good as t & g wainscoating and its aromatic scent is great in bathrooms or toilets. It also makes nice cladding and looks good when made into ledged and braced doors.

/ Hardwood Floor Question #5  
My daughter's boyfriend is a carpenter. He says that when he installs a hardwood floor[ cedar might be different] the wood has to sit in the house for a couple of weeks, to get accustomed to the conditions in the house, before it is installed. If not the wood can shrink, warp ,split, heave etc. plowking

/ Hardwood Floor Question #6  
I wouldn't recomened it. In my opinion, cedar will wear down in your traffic areas and over time. If you finish it, it will wear off rather quickly. I don't know how you would finish it so it would last??? If you are getting it really cheap, maybe use it for something else, or try and sell it to offset the price of a flooring material that has a proven record.

Pine floors in old homes are much harder then cedar, and they have wear patterns in them from foot traffic. I know some people are still using pine, but it's one of those high end floors that people spend extra money to get that old, weathered look.

Eddie

/ Hardwood Floor Question #7  
Mornin Holzster,
Im with the others, I wouldnt use it, its too soft. I have maple in my two front rooms and I have beech in my family room. Those woods are quite durable and take traffic well. Cedar will only cause frustation down the road IMHO !

/ Hardwood Floor Question #8  
If you do go on to use it... like you said be sure to let it set in the house or in a place with similar temperature. If it is in bundles, lay it out a little if possible to let the moisture out (if it had been outside).

I am speaking from experience... we put in about 600sq ft. of prefinished maple on our great room ceiling and it has moved quite a bit. ... Of course my situation is slightly different as it is used in a vaulted ceiling and the opposite side of the wood is susceptable to the attic air (other then the R-38 fiberglass insulation on the other side).

Definately you want to use that cedar (somewhere) as it has a nice rustic look to it.

/ Hardwood Floor Question #9  
I would not use it for flooring, just way too soft. There are places in New England that will use White Pine flooring, but there will be wear and need to refinish often.

Resawn the planks will cost you some money, but it might be interesting to see what it looks like when completed. You may find someone in your area that would be interested in 12" cedar. Around here I would think it would be pretty easy to sell as most of the stuff we see is 8" wide or less.

Most of the cedar we see is red cedar and is used mainly for crafts, boxes and closet lining.

/ Hardwood Floor Question #10  
Heck, cedar is so soft that your dog will leave little claw marks everywhere.
Also women's spikey high heals will indent the floor.

That is how soft cedar is!

LOL--If you were to wear golf shoes, you'd be worn through in about 2 weeks!

Cedar is best for outdoor projects.
BUT not a deck for all the above reasons.