Weed Killer Recipes

/ Weed Killer Recipes #1  

yzbdsbp

Bronze Member
Just wondering if anyone out there has made their own weed killer, I have alot of weeds and grass to kill in the summer and the round-up is just getting to expensive. There is a "make your own" weed killer Recipe on Ebay for just a couple of dollars, They say you can make a gallon for 12 cents. Has anyone tried or came up with their own? Thanks for the help!

/ Weed Killer Recipes #2  
Go to your local farm supply store and buy their generic glyposate. It works exactly the same and is much cheaper. Mix according to the label. Adding more concentrate will not kill the weeds faster, it will only cause unneccessary waste.
-Rich

/ Weed Killer Recipes #3  
Also try adding a teaspoon of dish detergent per gallon to your sprayer. Works as a sticker and the generic gylphosphate (Round-up) will work better. Make sure you add the detergent after filling up the sprayer :) or you'll have a mess.

Chris

/ Weed Killer Recipes #4  
Make some homemade Ice Cream, use the salt and ice combo leftover, it killed my grass when I pour it out on the lawn! The salt from the highway department, I've seen dead trees on the side of the roads (guess it's from the salt). Actually, isn't RoundUp a salt? Just a thought... (maybe not a good one). End of the salt season, might be on sale? Play with the concentration.

/ Weed Killer Recipes #5  
It's a salt that is absorbed by the plant and leaves no residual. I wouldn't advise going around and salting your yard with road salt if you want to replant.
-Rich

/ Weed Killer Recipes #6  
Let me throw a wrinkle on this...

My Goldens have a 20X50 dog run at the back of the house.

It is graveled (about 3" deep). When it was first put in, all the grass was (supposidly) killed.

That didn't last long.

Now I have grass coming up through the gravel.

There's no way I can kill it now (dogs being dogs, they eat grass constantly), so I just mow it every other weekend.

Weeds are another thing. Is there anything animal safe I could use to kill weeds without hurting the dogs?

I don't know what it is, but dog pee causes some VERY weird weeds to grow LOL

-Larry

/ Weed Killer Recipes #7  
Let me throw another wrinkle in here if I may. My problem is poison oak...a lot of it. I need to kill it with something pet safe, I'd hate to hurt that beautiful girl on the left. Also, a little O/T, same goes for fire ants. It's been dry enough for the past few years from what I've been told they weren't much of a problem, but with all of the rain lately I've got mounds coming up everywhere.

/ Weed Killer Recipes #8  
TractorLarry- How about a weed torch for the dog kennel? Although I would probably just spray with roundup. Here's a quick question would you rather feed your dog a cup of Glyphosate solution or a cup of raisins? I'd pick the glyphosate solution every time. Look at the MSDS for RoundUp It's pretty harmless stuff, where as raisins will cause kidney failure in dogs. Products designed to kill plants are often quite safe for people and pets. However, always read the label and look at the MSDS.

/ Weed Killer Recipes #9  
Don't use hard water for spraying with roundup (or any glyphosate) weedkiller.

Do add either ammonium sulphate or urea to the water. It increases the kill rate, and is very cheap.

marimus

/ Weed Killer Recipes #10  
Household vinegar works on many weeds.

I've had trouble with the generic glyphosates. Some stringy stuff seems to grow in the sprayer if left with any leftover mix in it and plugs the spray tip. Roundup doesn't seem to do this as severely. I'll pay extra for the Roundup.

I use BrushBeGone on poison ivy. I'm not sympathetic to it. If you use Roundup or plain glyphosate, you'll need 2 or 3 applications to kill it because the leaf is shiny and doesn't hold the glyphosate so well. BrushBeGone goes on, coats the leaf and kills it.

You could use a burner on many leaves, but I wouldn't on poison ivy. You can get lung or breathing passage damage if you breathe any burning poison ivy vapor.

Ralph