Herbicide mix?

/ Herbicide mix? #11  
From what I've read, Pramitol will keep things dead longer than Roundup. Have not tried it myself but it can be bought without pesticide certification.

/ Herbicide mix? #12  
Roundup and it's clones are post emergent herbicides. They are NOT soil sterilizers. It breaks down in the soil VERY quickly. You can replant after using Roundup within 1-2 weeks.

If you want to kill all vegetation and keep the soil free from vegetation, you need to use a soild sterilizer product.

Nathon, your local farm store should be able to make a recomendation on soil sterilization product that will get the job done and not require any special permits/license to use.

If your local store can't help, you can call over to Woodburn Fertilizer and I know they can help you. I used to use a combination of herbicides I got from them that did a great job keeping fence rows clear of vegetation. One of the herbicides killed a plants ability to make clorofill so the plant turned white a soon died. It's been too many yr back for me to remember what the 2 products were.

/ Herbicide mix? #13  
I too use Roundup mix 1 quart/25gal. Problem is that after it rains, the weeds come right back up. Not only is it expensive to use 2-3 times a year over 5 rocky hilly acres, but the time it takes to pull the 100gal tank with the ATV up and down the hillside is very exhausting. I use the boom when I can but I have to use the hand wand, pulling out 35' of hose on the areas that I can't get the rig to because it's too steep. Fire season is coming soon and I've already sprayed twice but the weeds still comes out after it rains...like it's doing right now.

I'd like to find something that I can spray only once a year but I'm told that Roundup is the strongest I can buy without a permit.

/ Herbicide mix? #14  
There is a product called Remedy that is supposed to last longer and kill woody brush. It doesn't "kill the ground" Be careful with products that do "kill the ground" as any runoff will also kill full grown trees.

Chris

/ Herbicide mix?
Yeah I think I want to avoid things that "sterilize" the ground... just doesn't sound healthy for an area where our animals eat, dog runs, kids play, etc. I already keep them off the lawn for a couple days after spraying roundup, so you can see I'm pretty paranoid about pesticides in general :) Too many things turns out to cause cancer :(
Nathan

/ Herbicide mix? #16  
firefighter9208 said:
There is a product called Remedy that is supposed to last longer and kill woody brush. It doesn't "kill the ground" Be careful with products that do "kill the ground" as any runoff will also kill full grown trees.

Chris

Remedy will NOT kill the grass -

/ Herbicide mix? #17  
As mentioned, glyphosate doesn't work well with hard water. Another "trick" to make glyphosate work better is to FERTILIZE what you're trying to kill. You heard me right, fertilizer.... Glyphosate is taken up by the plant. A strong, HEALTHY plant takes up more. Fertilizer (like liquid nitrogen) will stimulate the plant, force-feeding the target plants with a dose of round-up. Also, as mentioned, Round-Up or it's generic counterparts are "soil inactive". Once it contacts dirt, it's history. Most brands will allow planting/re-germination in as little as 3 days. During my years of attempting to farm, I used diesel fuel as a surfactant. (1 to 2 quarts per 10 gallons tank mix)