Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal

/ Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal #1  

GaryBDavis

Gold Member
I need some concrete anchors to install my basketball goal for my kids inside the shop. The post has a base plate welded to the bottom that is made to mount on four 5/8” threaded rods. You are supposed to set the threaded rods into the cement slab when it’s poured, but I didn’t do that.

The concrete is an engineered slab with beams (trenches) and I’m installing it over one of those beams. So, the concrete at that spot is 18 inches deep and 12 inches wide.

I’ve installed Hilti anchors before, but only in the 3/8” size. As one option, I could get this type of anchor in the size needed for 5/8” and screw in some threaded rod. I’m not sure if that would be strong enough as the plate will be suspended above the floor by an inch or so and there would be some lateral movement.

Somewhere I’ve seen some epoxy that was made for this purpose. You drill a hole, squeeze in some epoxy and insert your threaded rod. But, I can’t remember where I saw it.

So, I’m up for suggestions. The post base plate requires 4ea 5/8” threaded rods set in a square shape 9 inches apart.

/ Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal #2  
Goal? Around these parts we call 'em a "hoop"

/ Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal #3  
Is this a new goal or did you get it used? The reason I'm asking is, mine had a similar hole pattern to yours, but (and I think it's a pretty big but) there was a 3 foot chunk of steel buried in concrete that the goal post bolted to. Now, I have a pretty nice goal setup that is adjustable, large backboard, break away rim, etc. It's designed to lower the height and dunk on, so it's gotta support alot of weight.

Still though, even with a basic setup you're looking at alot of weight up there waving around when a ball hits it. Be careful, you don't want that thing falling down on you after a layup conks off the rim.

/ Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal
I bought it brand new from Hoops Dallas. There is no metal base to install, just a template to bolt the allthread to when you sink it into the wet concrete.

After I posted this, I had a brain storm and called them. Turns out they relocate them quite often and use both Hilti anchors and Rocktite to reset allthread or bolts depending on the application. They did ask alot of questions about my cement slab to make sure it would support it and was thick enough for me to drill down deep enough to make it secure.

This is also a goal that is "dunk" rated. I've had a 300+lb guy hang on it before! I paid almost $2,000 for it (ouch).

/ Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal #5  
GaryBDavis said:
I need some concrete anchors to install my basketball goal for my kids inside the shop. The post has a base plate welded to the bottom that is made to mount on four 5/8” threaded rods. You are supposed to set the threaded rods into the cement slab when it’s poured, but I didn’t do that.

The concrete is an engineered slab with beams (trenches) and I’m installing it over one of those beams. So, the concrete at that spot is 18 inches deep and 12 inches wide.

I’ve installed Hilti anchors before, but only in the 3/8” size. As one option, I could get this type of anchor in the size needed for 5/8” and screw in some threaded rod. I’m not sure if that would be strong enough as the plate will be suspended above the floor by an inch or so and there would be some lateral movement.

Somewhere I’ve seen some epoxy that was made for this purpose. You drill a hole, squeeze in some epoxy and insert your threaded rod. But, I can’t remember where I saw it.

So, I’m up for suggestions. The post base plate requires 4ea 5/8” threaded rods set in a square shape 9 inches apart.
I'd much rather use a 5/8" Hilti than epoxy. We use Hiltis, and Phillips on base plates for seismically designed pipe hangers and support. They will carry the load for your needs. You can get a length to suit your application. Grout under the plate to transfer the loading. Power plant designers do it often. That may very well be where you heard about an epoxy. There is an epoxy based grout filler.

Last edited:
   / Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal #6  
I have used a product made by Hilti for fastening to concrete but cannot remember the name of it. It is in there catalog. You first drill the proper size hole , then place an epoxy capsuol into the hole, then screw the threaded rod into it and let it harden. We use them for mounting machines and they hold up well to vibrations and such. Have not had one pull out yet after many years.
Glenn

Okay, here is the path I'm headed down. I purchased a 20lb tub of anchor cement and 5/8" threaded rod at the local home improvement store. The anchor cement cures to 7,000psi which is stronger than the concrete slab. They had some anchor expoy but a calk style tube of it was almost $20. The 20lb container of anchor cement was around $12.

I'll make a drill template for my air powered 45lb rock drill and drill out 1.5" holes down about a foot or so. I'll bolt the threaded rod to the mounting template that came with the goal post, fill the holes with cement and set the rods.

From what I can tell, anchor cement is just a high strength cement with an additive to make it expand slightly when setting up.

Here was the final result. Drilled four 1.5" holes 12" deep and set 5/8' threaded rods in anchor cement purchased at the local home improvement center. The cement came in a 20lb tub and cost me $13. It sets up in 10 minutes (no messing around) and cures to 7,000psi. I was hanging on the rim 24 hours later.

Attachments

• 2007 - Shop BB Court_resize.JPG
    2007 - Shop BB Court_resize.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,673
   / Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal #9  
That anchor cement must be some tough stuff. Looks like you did a neat job.

/ Concrete Anchors for Basketball Goal #10  
My 2 post car lift is anchored with bolts set in epoxy. I wrapped each bolt in teflon tape before setting into the epoxy. The idea beign that I may be able to unscrew the bolt out of the epoxy if needed.