Clay, Clay... oh yeah, and MORE Clay!

/ Clay, Clay... oh yeah, and MORE Clay!
PBinWA said:
I excavated out a huge layer of my hill side and then put layers of clay and poo down and tilled them in between. The nice thing with the poo is that if you have a trailer and strong back you can usually get it for free (not counting pain, time, and sweat).
PB
I didn't think anything was free anymore... but I'll start searching around. Let's just hope the neighbors don't start to complain. ;)

Dougster

/ Clay, Clay... oh yeah, and MORE Clay! #22  
Check out Craigslist in your area. In my area there are people that will load it for you. I even used some green stuff (extra stinky) since I was tilling it in.

I used some peat moss in another area and that made the clay soil loose but it is still sticky.

Gypsum is also supposed be good as it binds to the clay and helps to improve water drainage.

Either way, working with clay sucks and you have my condolences.

PBinWA said:
Check out Craigslist in your area. In my area there are people that will load it for you. I even used some green stuff (extra stinky) since I was tilling it in. I used some peat moss in another area and that made the clay soil loose but it is still sticky. Gypsum is also supposed be good as it binds to the clay and helps to improve water drainage. Either way, working with clay sucks and you have my condolences.
Yep... it's not been fun living here with this slimy mess all these years. The drainage system helped a lot, but in the end it was just a bandaid. It's finally time for a real solution. :)

Dougster

/ Clay, Clay... oh yeah, and MORE Clay! #24  
Compost and gypsum are what professionals use. I would scrounge drywall scraps and rototill them and compost, into the clay.

Raddad said:
Compost and gypsum are what professionals use. I would scrounge drywall scraps and rototill them and compost, into the clay.
From some of the things I've read, gypsum sounds pretty good... but others seem to "diss" it. Perhaps it is the sheer quantities needed to make any real difference on a "whole yard" scale. I certainly couldn't get there with drywall waste alone. I'd definitely have to order it in bulk. I'll have to investigate if and how that can be done around here.

Dougster

/ Clay, Clay... oh yeah, and MORE Clay! #26  
Gypsum should improve the soil texture significantly. Farmers use lime for the same reason. You may be able to get it at prices similar to fill sand, though I doubt you'll get any for free except as drywall scraps.

One other thought I had - if you want sand, metal casting companies (foundries) generally consumer large amounts that becomes unusable to them after a couple uses. Depending who you ask, it may be or is not contaminated in the process. If there are any foundries near you - and that could be auto parts makers, firearm makers, or art foundries - you may be able to get their used foundry sand for free. Unfortunately I have no expertise on whether it's clean enough that you want to put it in your own land.

Z-Michigan said:
Gypsum should improve the soil texture significantly. Farmers use lime for the same reason. You may be able to get it at prices similar to fill sand, though I doubt you'll get any for free except as drywall scraps. One other thought I had - if you want sand, metal casting companies (foundries) generally consumer large amounts that becomes unusable to them after a couple uses. Depending who you ask, it may be or is not contaminated in the process. If there are any foundries near you - and that could be auto parts makers, firearm makers, or art foundries - you may be able to get their used foundry sand for free. Unfortunately I have no expertise on whether it's clean enough that you want to put it in your own land.
I will pursue the gypsum thing, but only if available locally in bulk. Just don't have the time or patience to pursue the scrap thing very far. Also, no heavy industry anywhere around here. I live in the People's Republic of Taxachusetts. Manufacturing cannot survive here. Few things can. All we produce is lefty politicians and lots of hot air! :eek:

Dougster

/ Clay, Clay... oh yeah, and MORE Clay! #28  
Dougster:

I have read this thread with some degree of interest as I am in the same situation (except the expansionistic neighbors). Years ago I dug a french drain for my upper field and it worked for many years. It is now very overgrown and as a result really does not work very well. Compounding my situation is the 170 cubic yards of fill and other debris left over from my driveway project that is on the other side of my wet area. I am still having difficulty getting to it so I can start using it. I keep using the fill just to fill in the approach area. I will post a picture later today. I still have my tiller on the tractor as I have not tilled my gardens yet (This week :D!) so I can not use the box scraper. Jay

jbrumberg said:
Dougster: I have read this thread with some degree of interest as I am in the same situation (except the expansionistic neighbors). Years ago I dug a french drain for my upper field and it worked for many years. It is now very overgrown and as a result really does not work very well. Compounding my situation is the 170 cubic yards of fill and other debris left over from my driveway project that is on the other side of my wet area. I am still having difficulty getting to it so I can start using it. I keep using the fill just to fill in the approach area. I will post a picture later today. I still have my tiller on the tractor as I have not tilled my gardens yet (This week :D!) so I can not use the box scraper. Jay
That must have been one heck of a driveway project! :)

My situation is similar in that my swamp drainage system worked somewhat better... or at least it seemed that way... when it was installed 10 years ago. It's not clogged... but thicker growth in the swamp area seems to be holding the water in there longer. :rolleyes:

Anyway, keep us informed! I'll do the same as my own project progresses!

Dougster