Oil change

/ Oil change #1  

Mike_Dumond

Gold Member
Tractor
B6100D Kubota
Hmmm, I resemble that remark. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Oil Change instructions for Women:

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.
2) Drink a cup of coffee.
3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent:
Oil Change $20.00
Coffee $ 1.00
Total $21.00.

Oil Change instructions for Men:

1) Go to auto parts store and write a check for $50.00 for oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree.
2) Discover that the used oil container is full. Instead of taking it back to O'Reilly to recycle, dump in hole in back yard.
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: get hot oil on you in process.
12) Clean up mess.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Look for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up; poke oil filter with screwdriver and twist off.
16) Beer.
17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Finish oil change tomorrow.
18) Next day, drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car.
19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.
20) Beer. No, drank it all yesterday.
21) Walk to 7-11; buy beer.
22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
24) Remember drain plug from step 11.
25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
26) Discover that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard along with drain plug.
27) Drink beer.
28) Uncover hole and sift for drain plug.
29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor.
30) Drink beer.
31) Slip with wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.
32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31.
33) Begin cussing fit.
34) Throw wrench.
35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss December1992) .
36) Beer.
37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
38) Beer.
39) Beer.
40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
41) Beer.
42) Lower car from jack stands.
43) Accidentally crush one of the jack stands.
44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during step 23.
45) Beer.
46) Test drive car.
47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
48) Car gets impounded.
49) Make bail.
50) Get car from impound yard.

Money spent:
Parts $50.00
DUI $2500.00
Impound fee $75.00
Bail $1500.00
Beer $25.00
Total-- $4150.00

-- But you know the job was done right!

/ Oil change #2  
I guess that makes the money spent on a new oil pan to fix the cross threaded drain plug look pretty cheap./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jeff

/ Oil change #3  
Mike --

Let's try to build this to 100 steps men take. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gifHere's my contribution and a few more you might want to build into this scenario, in no particular order:

o Strip drain plug while mistakenly tightening it instead of loosening it with crescent wrench;
o Spend next 45 minutes wrestling with ViseGrip to loosen stripped drain plug;
o Suffer third degree burns on hands while draining oil before letting engine cool;
o Make trip to local hospital emergency room to treat third degree burns;
o Pay at least $35 for initial emergency room visit and thousands more for skin grafts required to heal third degree burns;
o Stop at local auto supply store to purchase new drain plug;
o Forget the hole in the backyard. Just bottle used oil up in old gallon milk jugs and drop in waste container at local 7-11;
o Get arrested by local law enforcement (who are sitting in parking lot drinking their coffee) for violating local dumping and hazardous waste laws;
o Pay hundreds more in fines and fees as penalty;
o Learning this lesson, store up this used oil in same old gallon milk jugs and use as incendiary fuel to start your brush pile on fire;
o Watch brush pile spread uncontrolled as winds pick up;
o Watch ground fire spread to local forest and see undergrowth and slash ignite;
o Watch local fire departments come and put out forest fire;
o Pay hundreds more $ss in fines for violating open burning laws.

Ahhhhhhh..........but the independence we men have is something we never compromise on, is it?/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Oil change #4  
Let's see - oil mishaps...

Two incidents come to mind. First, I'm 22 and I have my hand in a cast (broken knuckle - don't ask). I had been planning to change the filter in my tranny for a couple of weeks. Finally decided I was going to do it, cast or not. I was a little green - no one ever told me to loosen the pan bolts gradually working my way out from one corner. I undid them all but the pan gasket was stuck. I gave it a wrap with the ratchet - oops. Transmission fluid down inside my cast and making a rather uncomfortable pool in my armpit. Well, that cast ended up coming off a little early.

Second, I was changing the oil in my pickup. It was a pretty nice day so I did it in the driveway. Also, there's enough clearance underneath that I don't need to jack it up. I grab my wrench, a rag, and the drain pan and go under the truck. I don't realize that the wind is kind of gusting. I undo the drain plug and the wind blows the oil into a fine mist that comes to rest on my face. So I'm lying there and I'm thinking "only another 6 litres to go - I don't think so." I scoot out from under the truck and run around to the other side and block the wind with my body, staying there until all the oil is drained - and hoping that nobody comes by.

/ Oil change #5  
Yep, I've been with you there on that wind thing Paul. What's even more annoying is seeing it happen on your newly sealed black topped driveway. You try cleaning it up with gas or other solvent, but it just doesn't look the same. You wind up re-sealing the whole driveway./w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

But, I love this independence we have.

/ Oil change #6  
I've just taken on a pessimistic attitude. First the $3.00 shower curtain goes down and then a piece of cardboard just to be sure. My last accident was dropping the huge oil filter for my F-350 diesel (filter holds 2 qts alone) down my arm while I lay under it. Now you have to remember that I will never change the oil unless it's at full operating temperature. My arm was pink for a whole day but the shower curtain sure did its job!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jeff

/ Oil change #7  
Boy how I can relate to so many of these..........

Since I started my business, I have had a leased car and all the servicing done by dealer.

Much more time on my hands and much less swearing !!!!

Cheers

/ Oil change #8  
Last time I "saved money by doing it myself", I broke the oil pressure sender that Dodge helpfully places right beside the oil filter that their technicians must tighten down with an air wrench. I had to completely disassemble that filter to get it off, and only noticed the broken sender unit when I got zero oil pressure showing after the change. I think it cost less than $20 for the thing.

Chuck

/ Oil change #9  
Luckily I have only one minor oil change story. Really! Changed the oil in my Zetor. The shop manual was for four different models. It did not list seperate specs for each. It listed 8 quarts for crankcase w/filter change. I filled it with 8 qts and pulled the dip stick to check the level and was hosed down with oil. Got the owners manual out. 6 qts! /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

/ Oil change #10  
Here's another one. Long story short, I was young and uninformed and bought a what I was told was a 327. This engine was for my '81 Malibu (was a favorite around here for a cheap hot rod). I bought it "running" and just dropped it in. I changed the oil and filter. I had some nice Castrol 15W40 synthetic that I used. Well, it turns out the engine was a 265 (I'd never heard of one until then) and the oil filter gasket was closer to the center than the 327. And no - I didn't check it against the old one (did I mention I was uninformed). I fired it up and sent my beautiful 15W40 all over the floor. At least there was no harm done to the engine (which incidentally turned out to be a nice high revving power plant).