Are kids getting dumber?

/ Are kids getting dumber? #31  
I hope I am reporting this correctly. I saw a news report a while back that said that a high school education in the 50s is the equivalent of a four year degree today.

This is not entirely the schools fault but they are partially to blame for bowing to pressure to graduate a higher percentage of students.

They must "Dumb Down" the whole system in order not to hurt any one person's feelings.

/ Are kids getting dumber? #32  
I know one of the big things to blame it on is class size. In our case I think it's more a problem of poor behavior. My 7 year old has a boy in his class who is constantly in trouble. Each day we get a color telling us how our child behaved. Green for good behavior, yellow for a warning, red for in trouble and blue for the worst. This kid more often than not gets blue and I have to imagine that it sucks a lot of the teachers time away from the other students. "Now if that were my kid" I'd be sitting behind him in class everyday keeping him in line. But I guess that is just one of the "luxuries" (planned for 10 years before having kids) of being a stay at home parent...School calls, and I'm there!

Many ask me if I will get a job once both kids are in school. I ask them how many employers are going to hire me when I tell them my kids are my priority and at any moment, no matter what's going on at work, I may be gone. Not too many I would wager.

Jeff

/ Are kids getting dumber? #33  
Just wondering:
were those high school graduates of the 50s conversant with differential equations??

Egon

/ Are kids getting dumber? #34  
<font color=blue>Just wondering:
were those high school graduates of the 50s conversant with differential equations??</font color=blue>
Maybe not... but they sure could work trig functions without a calculator. /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif
I believe you'll find a minority of college graduates are required to take dif-e-q in order to receive a diploma... now those engineers among us may be a different story /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Marie

/ Are kids getting dumber? #35  
I live and work very close to our schools. My owner has children and would expect me to leave if there was any problem at all. We make time and volunter at school so we can evaluate the class and teacher, we do not wait for problems. We make adjustments accordingly. Raising children is all about sacrifice , your should want to make them and know when to make them. Just because a person works does not mean they do not make these sacrifices. My cusin has two children, she does not work and is home all day. Her kids are the pickiest eaters I have ever seen, they need better maners and they quickly throw tantrums when they do not get there way. These are all things my children do not do.

We planned long and hard before we had children, 5 years of planing and preparing. Something that realy upsets me is how people who wouldnt take care of a pet because it is to hard to take care of think they are qualified to be a parent. They are against abortion because of there religion but they didn't care when they were screwing around about there own beliefs, and now I have to pay for there mistake threw my taxes. They say they have a right to have there children if they want but no one ever bothered to ask me if I would mind paying for there child that many times won't be worth a [censored] because after the child is around for a while the parent does not want to be bothered raising there own kid. It is societies obligation to teach him morals and what is right and wrong.

I aplogize if I offended anyone

PTRich

/ Are kids getting dumber? #36  
When ever my dad was frustrated with us because we said we were bored or did not listen to him he sent us out to the "rock. We had a large rock on our side yard and we would have to beat it with a sledge hammer and chisel. We beat on that rock for 12 years. Very good "medicine" My grandfather had done the same with my father and uncle but he used large stumps and digging tools.

PTRich

/ Are kids getting dumber? #37  
I agree with the fact so many say it is their right to have children. I don't disagree with that as long as they also accept the responsibiliy for raising the children. My wife was a high school teacher for 34 years and I saw all kinds.

/ Are kids getting dumber? #38  
Your "owner" (that's funny) is unfortunately not the rule but rather the exception. Sure they don't mind you taking off once in a while for an emergency but if it becomes a habit there's gonna be a problem. I've seen too many single parents who have no choice but to stay home when the kids are sick which quickly drains the vacation time and then moves into the unpaid time. This is about the time that the people who aren't parents or at least not single parents start complaining about them not pulling their weight. Just seems to be a bad situation. I think I even saw a group that was taking these issues into the public forum that they were being discriminated against because they didn't have kids. You know....have to work holidays so the people with kids could be off, having to pull extra duty to make up for employees who are more frequently absent...plus a bunch of other stuff.

Anyway, my main reason for putting such emphasis on a parent being home really doesn't have much to do with how well or bad the kids turn out. It's because if you ask any of these kids what they would like...it would be more time with their parents especially when they are at the younger ages. Being the little self centered creatures they are they don't much care about what the parents want but are only really concerned with their own wants and needs. I really feel for my wife what with the little time she gets with our kids on weekdays. Home by 6:00 and the kids are in bed by 8:00. Though the little buggars drive me crazy some time and I'm sure I am far from the model parent. As a matter of fact, I'm sure I'm a bad parent in some areas. I'm glad I'm not missing one bit of their growing up which I can't believe is happening so fast. They'll be gone before I know it. I can understand why some make what I consider a mistake of having a second family many years after the first are grown.

I have two differnt examples from my own family. One had a stay at home mom and the other both worked. Both families had their kids turn out extremely bad. We're talking kids involved with drugs, abuse ,prostitution and a few having illegitimate kids etc. It didn't seem to matter whether they had a parent at home or not. What seemed to matter is that both lived their life like the kids were in the way. You know, vacations away from the kids regardless of whether they needed them there or not. That just wasn't the first priority and I'm sure the kids felt it. Anyway, I babble on....

And I too definitely do not mean this to offend anyone. Just thinking out loud./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jeff

Attachments

• 6-111973-Tractor.JPG
    6-111973-Tractor.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 60
   / Are kids getting dumber?
It sounds like you guys are both saying basically the same thing. The kids need role models they can look up to. The time spent is as important as the quality of the time spent. If the kids grow up watching dad screw up his life its difficult not to do the same.

I realized just the other day that I've grown up to be my parents. You know, I'm glad /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

SHF

/ Are kids getting dumber? #40  
Now thats a great looking photo!!..but where mom & dad??

You better be hiding those keys,for in a couple of years one morning while you are having coffee your going to hear your Kubota come to life,and hardly anymore seat time for you. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif