Are kids getting dumber?

/ Are kids getting dumber? #1  

StoneHeartFarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650/AC B210
In the news in Northern Michigan:

Three teenagers have been arrested for extortion. The teens repeatedly threatened a man in a store parking lot in an attempt to get money. The man agreed to meet them in the parking lot later to give them the money. Police arrested the teens when they came to collect. According to the police, the amount of money was not very much, but they are being charged with extortion and could spend several years in jail.

So, my first question:; How dumb can you be? Second question: Should I move so I won't have to be from the same State as people this dumb?

SHF

/ Are kids getting dumber? #2  
You mean there's a place you could move to get away from it and still have people around?

Jeff

/ Are kids getting dumber? #3  
Even dumber - In Falls Church, VA two high school seniors decided to panhandle at local 7-11 store, were threating the customers, even implying that they had a gun. The dumber part, a third was video tapeing the whole thing. The police caught up with them and the video tape, they are awaiting court hearings. The high school kids are protesting the principal's action to suppend them from extra circuliar activities, it appears that two are high school sport stars.

Several years ago a simuliar thing happened, high school kids, parents were away, party in progress, beer was flowing, noise was loud, cops were called, kids scattered, cops found video recorder belonging to high school, checked the tape, showed kids drinking at the party and bragging that mom and dad would be pissed if they new. Parents got high dollar lawyer that got the tape throwen out. Parents denied that their kids were drinking. And you wonder why we are having the problem with teenagers that we do.

/ Are kids getting dumber?
Actually, I was trying to figure out if anybody would take me knowing I come from a place where people are so dumb! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

SHF

/ Are kids getting dumber? #5  
Kids are not getting dumber! There are many great kids. I teach high school and see them every day. The problem is that there are some parents who are just not very good at doing what they should do as parents. I see everyday parents who make excuses for them everyday. No one wants to be accountable for their actions. It is a true look at our society. Example if I wreck my car it is not my cell phone, makeup, book I was reading, it was the tires or the gas pedles fault. Adults need to take responsiblity for their actions and pass that on to their kids. Don't get me wrong I see a lot of parents that still hold there kids accountable, but I see to many who want to be their kids best freind and not a mom or dad. I knew growing up what was right or wrong because I was tuaght that. If I did somthing wrong I know that I would be accountible. I respected people, that is what we have lost is respect for rules and each other.

/ Are kids getting dumber? #6  
I was watching Sesame Street with my 2&5 yr old boys last week, and there was a little bird on the show singing about how mommy and daddy live in different tree's.

I understand the message, but how sobering is it to see and hear it on a little kids show.

I've got to agree that it's the parents fault as well. There are so many reasons the parents haven't made their children responsible/accountable.

How much of an influence can a parent be on a child when they are in day care before they can walk? I understand there are people out there that have no choice, because they are single parents and sombody has to make money. Personally, I've met more people that have their kids in day care because they don't want to deal with them. It's easier to pay sombody a few hundred bucks a month to babysit them. I see too many kids that are a mess before they even go to kindergarten.

I thank God every day that my wife can stay home with our children, and that we have the opportunity to instill everything in them we can.

I would have to say that children's igorance level is at an all time high, but the cause is directly related to their home life.

/ Are kids getting dumber? #7  
I agree with the stay at home mom comment. I know that my wife enjoy's it, and that the kid's will be more well rounded as a result.

I also agree that most kid's are good but the teacher is generally right about the parents not teaching proper values. I grew up with alot of trust fund tragedies (Even Bing Crosby's kid's but they had pretty good values and were the exception to the rule), kid's whose parent were wealthy and they were the ones who had no regard for money, property, life, morality etc.. I've also seen the unfortunate side of less than wealthy people but atleast they were grounded in reality as they had to live it.

My added comments would be that TV and the media are driving America to become hooked on the spoonfed soundbites of whatever they want people to believe. I call it the dumbing of America. It's truly amazing some of the garbage that get's on TV just to try and attract ad $$.

That I believe is the root of our problem. Our kid's are getting book smarter but they are not getting street smarter. They need to be taught to think for themselves and to have good decision making skills and responsiblity.

Todd in Placerville

/ Are kids getting dumber? #8  
I grew up in MI and have lived in several states. Unless you move to Omish country, you won't find any improvement! There are some good kids, but most of them are so spoiled and used to having everything done for them that don't have a lick of common sense.

I know a lot of women who work and the money they earn barely pays for the day care. By the time you account for the gas they burn going back and forth to work, they would be money ahead to stay home with the kids. But, that would be too much work, they'd rather take the easy way out. My wife stays at home and will continue to do so until they kids go to first grade, even though she could get a job that would pay enough to make our financial situation a lot better. But, I don't trust anyone to work on my vehicles, so there's no way I'm going to trust anyone else to raise my kids for me!

/ Are kids getting dumber? #9  
I agree with the comments about kids often being dumped in day care instead of being raised properly by THEIR PARENTS. In day care, the kids get maybe 1 carer per 10 kids. So not a lot of real care going on there.

I work at home, so get to see a lot more of my fella than others would, and with my wife at home too, he gets all the care he needs. And so far has hardly ever been cranky etc as all his needs are met.

My wife is a teacher and there is no physical discipline allowed any more due to all the legal dramaa. Also without national service or cadets etc. the kids get NO discipline anywhere any more so where's the incentive NOT to be bad??

My neighbours have 5 kids and the all go to private schools. The kids seem nice enough, but Mum & Dad work (him out of town for 5 days out of 7) and the are never home. Kids have crap toys and no shed or anything for their bikes etc. So all the education in the world is no good if your parents aren't home or can't provide for your needs or teach you no respect for your toys etc.

It's a cruel world but not getting any better?????

/ Are kids getting dumber? #10  
My opinion is a bit different from many of you, but somehow the same. I'm one person , who was brought up with the promise that, (wait till your Dad gets home). You know kids today don't have respect for much of anything. They are bought cars, clothes, and given money. What do parents expect? Work for what you get, I know I did. Get an education, and get a job. We as a people are going to be in big trouble if we let discipline , and more taking responsibility for your actions away. These people want us to believe that schools, TV, and all kind of other things are responsible for their kids going bad. Sorry, but government, and parents are the problem. Just how I feel. Kent