Military Funeral

/ Military Funeral #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
Off topic, but no fun.

Our youngest daughter has been going to visit some old friends of ours and doing their income tax return for them each year, and she did that Saturday morning. Sunday was her birthday, so my wife went up there, also, to meet her and the three women went out to lunch together. The husband told them to "have fun" and he stayed home. They returned about an hour and a half later to find him dead from a heart attack in his recliner (he had been in bad health for several years).

Since he was retired Army (27 years), the funeral was yesterday at the new Dallas/Ft. Worth National Cemetery with full military honors. That was the first time I've been to a military funeral (and the first time I'd been out to see that new national cemetery), and I can tell you that you would be proud of those young soldiers (from all branches of the military). Very impressive.

/ Military Funeral #2  
Bird—I am so sorry about your friend. It had to be a tough day for your wife and daughter.

MarkV

/ Military Funeral #3  
Thats a shame another good person has left todays world..hope all members and friends are doing okay.

We went to Arlington for my better half mother funeral last October,and that indeed a sight to be hold.
If anyone gets a chance do visit,for there lot hopes and dreams and what the USA stands for.

/ Military Funeral #4  
Yes they seem to treat all military funerals with utmost respect and so they should. If someone is prepared to fight for their country, they make the highest sacrifice.

/ Military Funeral #5  
Really sorry to hear when someone passes away, Bird. It's especially hard on those left behind.

Sounds like he got a good sendoff and an honorable place among honorable souls to rest in peace. I hope that brings at least some solace to his family.

/ Military Funeral
<font color=blue>had to be a tough day for your wife and daughter</font color=blue>

Yep, Mark. His wife's a fine lady, but I'm afraid she was a basket case. My wife and daughter got him into the floor and my daughter did CPR on him until the paramedics arrived, but to no avail. He had apparently been dead for an hour or more. They no longer have any relatives in the area, so my wife and daughter stayed with her Saturday night until their daughter flew in from Florida the next day.

/ Military Funeral #7  
Bird, My heart felt wishes to you all and the family. Jim

/ Military Funeral #8  
Bird, Our condolences and a moment of silence for our fellow veteran. I've been to several military funerals and have never felt so forlorn.................. yet so proud, of our lost brethren..................mark

/ Military Funeral #10  
Bird
When I was driving a limo, the saddest funeral I was at was for a man who was in the Bataan Death March. At the funeral was 2 relatives. The rifle honor guard had to be pall bearers. Sad