Social Security/Personal Retirement Accounts

/ Social Security/Personal Retirement Accounts #1  

TerryinMD

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST
Looks like the war of words is beginning to heat up in Congress. I snipped a small piece out of an <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.msnbc.com/news/717275.asp>article</A> from the MSNBC Web site and here it is...

<font color=blue>DEMOCRATS SAY MONEY LACKING
Democrats argue that Republican privatization proposals are not credible because trillions of dollars of general revenue would have to be pumped into the system in order to finance private accounts and pay for the retirement of the baby boom generation. Because of Bush’s $1.35 trillion 10-year tax cut last year, the money is not there, they argue.
“It doesn’t add up,” said Rep. Earl Pomeroy, D-N.D., who sits on the Ways and Means Committee. “We’re on our way to a fiscal train wreck in the financing of Social Security. All of the coupons and all of the privatization schemes in the world won’t make that budget reality go away.”</font color=blue>

What struck me as being very odd is in the first sentence - <font color=red>Democrats argue that Republican privatization proposals are not credible because trillions of dollars of general revenue would have to be pumped into the system in order to finance private accounts and pay for the retirement of the baby boom generation.</font color=red> (chose red to highlight - no hidden meaning) Why would tillions of dollars of general revenue be needed for private accounts? Let me try to understand - if I choose to set up a private account, the money taken by the Government and placed into a private retirement account is just that, private. The Government has been removed from the loop. The money is deposited and in a retirement account. This is unlike the current SS system which takes my money and uses it to pay out to the current retirees and anyone else eligible for SS benefits. If what I say is true (I think it is - tell me if I'm mistaken), then actually what is being said is that the personal retirement accounts will actually reduce the amount of funds going into the general revenue accounts.

The next sentence is also troublesome. <font color=red>Because of Bush’s $1.35 trillion 10-year tax cut last year, the money is not there, they argue.</font color=red> What does this have to do with the personal retirement accounts and SS. This all sounds like the typical smoke and mirror routine coming out of Congress. This article mentions Democrats but in all reality, some Republicans are just as guilty in portraying SS as some kind of sacred cow that should not be touched.

I just wish that someone in Congress would get the cajoles to stand up and change this system. There has to be a good solution. I just wish that Congress would cut out the double-talk and trash and develope a solid solution. I wish that I could opt out of SS and put that money in a plain Jane savings account. I certainly would feel more comfortable with that solution.

Terry

/ Social Security/Personal Retirement Accounts #2  
Let me state here and now that I am not defending the Democrats statement. Ok?

If my head spins at the same rate as their statement I think they mean that because all current SS funds are being used to pay current benefits, it would require trillions to pay future benefits to those who have paid in but switch to private accounts. If I switched to private retirement today, the goverment is still obligated to pay me the SS benefits I've contributed to for 20+ years.

The tax cut statement is bunk. If congress would stop funding pork projects there would be plenty of funds for SS. The goverment should be financed on a national sales tax basis not income based. If the "people" want SS, continue payroll deduction and make it unlawful for congress to use it for anything except SS.

my 2 cents worth

/ Social Security/Personal Retirement Accounts #3  
Start with the basic reality, Social Security is a Ponzi Scheme.
If any private pension system employed the rules of operation Social Security does, the directors would be jailed.
Social Security still operates on 1911 actuarial tables, how many familys do you know of that have 7 kids, and the breadwinner will die at 49 years of age.
It's been a scam from the beginning, and the Democrats who have controlled the Congress for more than 40 years used it as a slush fund. It was real easy for Democrats to add benefits to buy votes for 40 years. Social Security was never intended to be a total support system for elderly people, but when the biggest voting block wanted more money, Congress gave it to them.
The few bucks left in the trust fund will run out in 2038, more likely, you couldn't buy a small tractor with what is actually in the trust fund.
Remember AlGor's famous LOCK BOX, even he was admitting the cooky jar is empty.

/ Social Security/Personal Retirement Accounts #4  
Social Security takes in way more money than it pays out. The money they don't pay out in benefits goes into the general fund to be pissed away at congress's pleasure. If there were private accounts, they would actually have to fund them now, the stock market isn't going to take IOUs. It makes it very hard to buy votes with the money if it has to be used for what it was intended.

/ Social Security/Personal Retirement Accounts #5  
They should have privatized social security a long, long time ago.. I'm sick of supporting no good *&^%wipes with my money. It's bad enough when it's deadbeat family that you have to help, but a total stranger that just sit's on his butt all day, that just ticks me off.. Privatize now that way I will have some money for that new tractor after I retire.

/ Social Security/Personal Retirement Accounts #6  
The reality is that social security is a "pay as you go" system. If we take money from social security (which is what is proposed), then current payees will soon not have the social security funds. Not right away, but sooner than the current projections. The problem is that the "privatized" funds won't cover the shortened gap. You can add it all up. It's just math.

/ Social Security/Personal Retirement Accounts
Yes... that's the point. The Govt needs to fix the problem.

Does anyone feel as though they will not reap the "benefits" promised? I do not feel that I will. I would rather be the master of my own destinity, but I'm prevented because of the silliness of the Govt - being taxed out the wazoo.

Terry

/ Social Security/Personal Retirement Accounts #8  
I agree 100% ... Social Security - here and back in Canada - is a gigantic PONZI scheme designed for only one purpose .... to keep poorer people who haven't managed to save for a retirement (that has become an entitlement) voting themsaelves chunks of tax dollars they haven't paid.
Exactly when did "every citizen needs to own a home" and "every citizen is owed a cushy retirement at age 65" get written into the Bill of Rights? What Amendment is is contained in?

Social Security is ... plain and simple ... just another tax ... which, like FICA and all the other "hidden" taxes is designed to keep us from knowing the true amount of taxation biting our butts! And all to keep pork-barrelers like Byrde in office.

/ Social Security/Personal Retirement Accounts #9  
I think that's where I'm at for at least the last 10 years. I fully expect that SS will not be able to make any payments to me when I retire. Imagine if the roughly 14% of my salary that's currently going into SS would instead go to a private IRA? Wow, that would make a major difference in my retirement.

However, if I (and everyone else that could) suddenly started doing that, all the current recipients would be left high and dry.

And that is the conundrum that the proposal fails to address. It's as if we can't add it up or something. Sure, I want there to be something there for me when I retire, but I also want the system to handle the current recipients as well as the ones that come after me.

/ Social Security/Personal Retirement Accounts
Conondrum - yes!! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

How do we "fix" the problem?

What if the Government was to return to you all of the money you "contributed" with the stipulation that it had to be placed into an IRA/Roth IRA/mutual fund and not used until you retire? Wouldn't that solve the problem quickly?

Terry