Big $$$ AC repair on 03 Ford

/ Big $$$ AC repair on 03 Ford #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I noticed that the AC on my 2003 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 was not cooling as well as it should. It was still cooling, just not very well. It needed the tranny fluid flushed and changed so I asked them to take a look at the AC.

The shop (at a Ford dealership) called and said something about the compressor locking up and then about a bunch of other stuff I don't know anything about (condensor???, collector???, filter?????) then the cha-ching sounds started and I did not hear much else except that it would cost about $1000 to repair!

I told him to flush the tranny but not to fix the AC. At least for now.

I've never had an AC go out this fast on a vehicle. It is 4 years old and I'm still paying for it. It is obviously not under warranty.

Should I get a second opinion? Bite the bullet and have it repaired? Complain to Ford? Wait until next summer then fix it.

(And please don't get me wrong. This isn't Ford bashing. This has been a problem free truck until now. I'm just stating the facts and frustrated that I won't be building the $1000 tractor shed I'd been planning).

I'll get more details when I pick it up tomorrow.

/ Big $$$ AC repair on 03 Ford #2  
Definitely get a second opinion!

/ Big $$$ AC repair on 03 Ford #3  
Definitely a second opinion...even a third.
I've seen AC's pack up early, but it sounds like the whole system (compressor, condensor...everything packed up). I have never heard of that.
I suggest you talk to Ford's regional manager too (that's the Dealer's direct contact to Ford).

/ Big $$$ AC repair on 03 Ford #4  
The AC quit on my 98 F-150 at about 6 years. The AC quit on the 95 Caravan after 3 years. The van needed a new compressor but the windows worked fine. The truck has not been to a shop to figure out the problem and I use the truck as a work/farm truck anyway so there is no real hurry to find out what is wrong. I plan on selling the truck soon anyway before I have to sink much more into it as 8 years is all these vehicles seem to last now before you have to rebuild them piece by piece.:rolleyes:

/ Big $$$ AC repair on 03 Ford #5  
Get a second opinion. The Ford I had was fixed by untwisting a vacuum hose that opened an AC door. Cheap fix.

The gobbelty gook is what they count on to screw you - that’s why they are called STEALERS.

Also take it to the biggest AC shop in your area, and have them look at it.

/ Big $$$ AC repair on 03 Ford #6  
I agree - it sounds extremely suspicious.

/ Big $$$ AC repair on 03 Ford #7  
Write Ford and let them know what the problem is . I had the same problem a Taurus wagon. It was going to cost $800 to fix. They sent me a certificate to redeem at dealer , new compressor for $50. The new compressor failed and they replaced that for free. I have bought three brand new Fords since then because they stood behind the product. Things may be a little different now that they are tough times . Worth a try. It took me three months to get a response. Send the letter certified mail , so that they know you mean business.

John

/ Big $$$ AC repair on 03 Ford
Thanks for the opinions guys. I guess we all have an arbitrary point at which we feel like a problem is okay or not okay. I've had AC go out on some of my favorite (Nissan) vehicles but it was usually at 6 or seven years and it didn't bother me so much. I either got them fixed or just lived without (tough down south here).

Its funny. I was commenting to my wife that this truck had been extremely carefree (more so than her Nissan) and boom, this happens. The other funny thing is that when I dropped the truck off I stopped to look at the new F-250s. I DO NOT need a new truck right now but they sure did look sweet. But, a $1000 repair bill on a 4 year old truck makes getting a new one very tempting. I have to admit, if they try to get me to trade in for a new vehicle I will be a tad suspicious. That is what happened to my parents. They had a Ford minivan that they diagnosed with some sort of expensive computer module related problem and then offered to make them a good deal on a trade. They took the deal and now have a Ford Escape. I didn't think anything of it at the time becuase I did not like the minivan and they are very happy with the Escape.

As far as the repair shop being crooked, I don't think that is the case. It hasn't been my impression so far. Now I have no idea how competent they are but I'm at least hoping they aren't crooked. I know the owner fairly well.

But, I'm going to look around for a dedicated AC repair shop and at least get an estimate from them.

Of course I need to talk with the service manager and get some details too. Once he started rattling off the problems I sort of tuned out on the phone.

How does one go about contacting a regional Ford rep? I'd like to do that, not to bust their chops or beg for money, just to get a feel for their take on this sort of thing. I may have unreasonable expectations, I just don't know. If they had said I had a leak, or needed a new hose or something along that line, even if it was several hundred dollars, I don't think I would have been too disappointed, things happen, but the whole shebang going bad is a bit disappointing to me. And I'll admit, one source of my frustration is that I'm still paying for this truck. That is not Ford's fault or anyone's but mine (it was stupid of me to take out a 5 year loan). But you just hope and expect that whatever you buy will be free of major repairs at least until you pay for it. I understand you can get six year auto loans now.

Edit: The other source of frustration is my total ignorance when it comes to AC systems. If he'd told me that my Flux Capacitor and my positron modulator where shot I could only nod my head in agreement.

/ Big $$$ AC repair on 03 Ford #9  
In United States:

Phone:
800-392-3673
800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)

Mail:
Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126

Hours of Operation:
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Monday-Friday)

to contact Ford ,use customer service, they will refer rep to you.

John

/ Big $$$ AC repair on 03 Ford #10  
"How does one go about contacting a regional Ford rep? "

Right through your dealer...the rep would be the negotiator, so to speak.

Although I've bought a fair number of Fords over the years, with the exception of one, I've had few problems other then what one would expect with a used vehicle.
Maybe I've been lucky...

The time I went to a Rep was with a new Volvo that started rusting atop the trunk lid (this was a '78 Model 242GT). When I see something that shouldn't be (such as rust in an unlikely place), I've got to question a manufacturing defect (remember, I work Quality Control...I'm normally on the other end of this kind of thing).
Anyway, the dealer was hesitant since I'd had the car for over a year...but the Volvo rep signed right off on the repair.

In N80's case, it sounds like several components failed. Now, one failure could have cascaded into the others...but that doesn't seem likely...not to me.

So, once the third party shop evaluates the problem, N80 may want to return to the dealer and discuss this with the manufacturer's rep. Even though Ford is in financial difficulty, they cannot afford to alienate their customers on a failure that should not have occurred.