Lady Bird Beetles

/ Lady Bird Beetles #1  

hwp

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota F2400
Last fall we were infested with these critters - literally thousands on the siding of the house at times. They look very similar to lady bugs, but they are a lighter colour and they bite! At times we had over a hundred in the house. I used the vacuum hose to clear them out. Bug spray has no effect. Even through the winter one or two would appear after a warm day, usually in the evening. My guess is that they come in with the firewood. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to control them. Thanks.

/ Lady Bird Beetles #2  
they are a variety of baybird beetles (ladybugs) according to the ag agent here, HWP .... so your method of control (vacuum them up) is a good one. But ... instead of disposing of them ... store them for the spring .... they're one of the few beneficial bugs ... much better for your garden than chemical pest control.

Wingnut

/ Lady Bird Beetles #3  
I have thoes bugs and burn wood also.
Autumn the worst time of the year for those buggers up here,and I heard they started in NY state and made they way over hear.
If you have notice the birds won't even eat them.

/ Lady Bird Beetles #4  
Here in Central Virgina we have them also, they were brought in to fight the pine post bettle infestation. As previously said, they are bentificial, just vacuum them up, but they are a pain. Local exterminator has told me there is not much that will kill them so you are kind of stuck with them. Around here kids collect them in jars to see how many they can catch.

/ Lady Bird Beetles #5  
Howard
There was a thread last fall on the same subject. Check it out site that has some information on them. Looks like us Great Lakes citizens will have another pest to deal with. This one won’t be in the water. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Since you have changed your signature. Maybe you would like an animated one. See attachment.

/ Lady Bird Beetles #6  
These are embedded in the walls of my house. They apparantly seek refuge there over the cold winter. They come into the house when days warm up during the winter, as they've done this year. Only remedy I know is that trusty vacuum or two. It works great. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif