What is this bug?

/ What is this bug? #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I found it on one of my Red Rome apple trees. I do not recall every seeing this species here before. It is about 1/2" - 5/8" long.

Attachments

• Found on Red Romes006.JPG
    Found on Red Romes006.JPG
    422.2 KB · Views: 174
   / What is this bug? #2  
Robert_in_NY said:
I found it on one of my Red Rome apple trees. I do not recall every seeing this species here before. It is about 1/2" - 5/8" long.

I believe it's a good guy, Robert. I think it's an assassin bug that feeds on other bugs. He's your friend.

assassin bug

/ What is this bug?
Thanks Jim, that is what some of the guys on another board said. I only have seen this one but there are a lot of spiders also in the orchard taking care of bugs also. I have some earwigs also but have noticed quite a few dead ones. I wonder if this guy is responsible for the deaths of some of them:)

/ What is this bug? #4  
STINK BUG! :p

(That's what I tell my kids when they find any bug and ask me what it is. ;))

/ What is this bug? #5  
MossRoad said:
STINK BUG! :p

(That's what I tell my kids when they find any bug and ask me what it is. ;))

I need to take your kids on a field trip thru my garden. They'd come face-to-face with so many stink bugs that you'd never be able to boondoggle them again.;)

Robert: Even though assassin bugs most often attack other bugs, they will attack you if provoked. That sharp probiscus will give you a painful prick if you get one mad enough to treat you like a big bug.:eek: :rolleyes:

/ What is this bug?
I had figured on that. I used a leaf to move this one to a box so I can take him to the camera and get a good picture. Certain bugs I know not to handle even if I can't identify them:(