Snake in house - how do I find it to get rid of it?

/ Snake in house - how do I find it to get rid of it? #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
I just returned from a 4 day week end to Dover for races. Went in basement to turn water back on and next to shut off was a 2 - 3 foot snake skin. It wasn't there on Thursday morning. Could I take skin and identify kind of snake? I'm thinking health department or game warden? Will snake hibernate for winter if in house or stay awake? How do I find this thing? I'm worried it might find way into floors and hide out for a long time.

I thought the whole house was air tight enough to keep out these critters. Last week I had an electrician replacing under ground electric line. I'm thinking snake might have wandered in open garage door. It's still hot here in Pennsylvania and it's real dry. There is a lot of activity in woods near home as there is logging crew there. Snakes might be on move looking for water or because their home is disturbed by loggers.

I have had, in my house, bees, big black ants, mice and bats. For a while, I even had a skunk family hanging out near the house. That's nothing compared to this thing. At least in my mind.

HELP!! Suggestions appreciated. Please don't scare me too bad with horror stories.

Cheers...Coffeeman

/ Snake in house - how do I find it to get rid of it? #2  
Don't know the answer to how to find the snake.

Don't know if you can tell by the skin if it's poisonous. I mean, if it were a rattlesnake's skin, you could tell, because the transparency of the shedded skin will show the pattern of the diamonds...but if it's a moccasin, it may just look like a fat black snake...

I can tell you this, my wife would be gone until I found it. She'd freak out:eek:

Hey, I may have an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D ;) :)

/ Snake in house - how do I find it to get rid of it? #3  
Best way to get rid of a snake is to get an even bigger snake. Eventually, the exterminator snakes will be big enough to find. :)

/ Snake in house - how do I find it to get rid of it? #4  
jdbower said:
Best way to get rid of a snake is to get an even bigger snake. Eventually, the exterminator snakes will be big enough to find. :)

Thare ya go, keep bringing in bigger snakes til one eats you:D

/ Snake in house - how do I find it to get rid of it? #5  
Get a cat... i swear my cats would take down wild game if i had any available...

Soundguy

/ Snake in house - how do I find it to get rid of it? #6  
Soundguy said:
Get a cat... i swear my cats would take down wild game if i had any available...

Soundguy

:D:D:D:D:D

Works here, too. If it moves, it's theirs!

/ Snake in house - how do I find it to get rid of it? #7  
Move to a different location or adopt a Mongoose as a pet!:D

/ Snake in house - how do I find it to get rid of it? #8  
SnowRidge said:
:D:D:D:D:D

Works here, too. If it moves, it's theirs!

Yep.. I find an assortment of 1 and no legged bugs and reminants of various furry critters on my doorstep every morning. I have a small 'herd; of cats on my farm.. say.. 13 or so 'regulars'.. all vacinated and fixed...

They seem to hunt as a pack as well... I've seriously worried a few times whent he neighbors dogs have gone missing...(wink)

soundguy

/ Snake in house - how do I find it to get rid of it? #9  
Coffeeman, You found a 3' snake skin. Every time a snake sheds his skin he gets BIGGER..!! So you probably willn't have any problem finding him now becuase he's probably about 6' long now!!

/ Snake in house - how do I find it to get rid of it?
Soundguy said:
Yep.. I have a small 'herd; of cats on my farm.. say.. 13 or so 'regulars'.. all vacinated and fixed...
soundguy

Cats are one good idea to consider for future. Right now I am just interested in getting rid of critter. Not knowing what it is is making me uncomfortable. I thought I might leave garage door open for a few hours. Maybe snake would leave. Probably, though, a friend of his would come in to visit. I don't know what to try first. I have considered so far from suggestions on other posts here:

1. Bird netting with some kind of bait to get snake to be tangled up and trapped.

2. Get mouse from pet store and hang him out, with a "0" fish hook on mouse to hook snake when he goes for bait. Then toss snake out.

3. Hollow out an egg and put a treblehook inside tied to a heavy line. I guess snakes like eggs.

4. Heat lamp on cold nite so snake will go to the heat and can catch him there.

5. Someone mentioned making a trap with a pipe going into box. Snake goes in there but can't get out. I think some kind bait might have to be used.

6. Many said make sure there are no mice around and snake will leave. But I don't know how he got in house so if mice are gone snake might not have an exit route.

7. Lay out a bunch of rat glue traps. One also suggested a plain old spring rat trap. Also, there are snake traps for sale on net. Haven't searched yet. Are there any such thiings sold at places like Tractor Supply? Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers....Coffeeman