AOL

/ AOL #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
Well, it finally happened. Ten years, 14 reorgs and this time they got me. Nothing personal, they cut out our whole department and quite few others, but I am not employed by AOL anymore.

Life goes on, and the spirit at AOL is long gone; I remember the fun of the end of nineties, we were doing great; last few years it was just an agony and chaotic managerial changes. I quess it takes a long time for a big company to die.

Using my free time to take advantage of the recent bow season, everything has silver lining, right?

/ AOL #2  
Sorry for the upheaval in your life. Hopefully you will find something as fun as this job used to be.

Good luck.

/ AOL #3  
cp1969 said:
Sorry for the upheaval in your life. Hopefully you will find something as fun as this job used to be.

Good luck.

Prokop:

Ditto.

I have been on the "set free" by several reorganizatons/restructurings in my 30 years in the human services. I always made the best of my "time off" taking care of what needed to be done in my personal life. I never had any problems having some fun with the free time or collecting unemployment benefits- I/we all pay into that. But when a job no longer remains "fun" and your work "fun mates" are in the same predicament- it really is time for a change. I am thankful that I am having fun in my current position.

Change is scary. With change comes risks and opportunities. Good luck, take care, have fun hunting and hang in there! Jay

/ AOL #4  
Prokop:

These things can work out great. I quit my job about 20 years ago after it wasn't any more fun. I relaxed and upgraded my skills for about three months. When I went back to work (as a contractor for the same company), I approximately doubled my income and had a lot more fun than before.

Good luck.

/ AOL #5  
Agreed...it's a blow getting let go.. even if it's "not personal." After a short while... few days of taking stock... it'll be time to get back in the saddle looking for something else..assuming that is what you want to do..

Best wishes!! As indicated, the next job can be an improvement in fun, even $$ sometimes.

/ AOL
Thank you guys:)

BTW my boss had 12 years anniversary the day she got pink slip; isn't AOL just dream come true?

/ AOL #7  
These are the types of considerations that drove me into my own business 17 years ago. Just a thought. Maybe you have skills you could make better "doing your own thing"?

/ AOL #8  
Well,

The job market in your area has always been very strong. Should not take too long to find something in IT.

Good luck.

-Mike Z.

/ AOL #9  
Where is Old Dominion anyway? I read somewhere that in the japanese language the symbols for the word failure (YOU are not a failure, YOU did not fail, AOL failed) shows a door shutting but also a door opening. Try to think fo it that way. Don't look at it s a door closing but rather as a door opening. You would not have lasted 10 years with multiple re-orgs if you were not good at what you do. Where is old Dominion anyway.

/ AOL #10  
For me AOL has always meant America Off Line.