Tractors = Food = Life

/ Tractors = Food = Life #1  

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I'm sure for most people the connection between tractors and food is obvious. But, it is easy to forget especially on a site like this where probably most of us do not use our tractors in the production of food outside of small gardens or food plots for wildlife. The truth is, tractors came into existence to help grow food. But that's not really what this post is about...its just how I'm tying it into a tractor website.

What I'm really posting about is food and how we have de-valued it. A discussion on farm subsidies got me to thinking about this when someone pointed out that subsidies from the government made it possible for us to have cheap food. I don't want to rehash the discussion on subsidies but I would like to throw out some 'food' for thought.

I recently bought a book of photography called 'On Earth's Furrowed Brow'. It is a documentary of farming in Appalachia, particularly farming done the old, less mechanized way. The photography in this book is spectacular and I highly recommend it. But, what got me to thinking along these lines is some oral histories in the back of the book that correlate with the photos. Most of these are from recordings of people who were in their 80's and 90's in the early 1980s. One of the recurring themes in all of this was how hard life was, especially before WWII and how food was such an issue. It is interesting to read how at any time food my be hard to come by, but at the same time how good it was when they had it (good, fresh country cooking). It was also interesting to read about laborers who would work all day on someone else's farm to be paid only a meal at the end of the day. And finally, despite all this hardship and privation, most of these folks remembered those days as the best of their lives.

Contrast that, with today's society. As a nation, we have more stuff than any other nation in history but it seems like all you hear about is how no one is ever happy or satisfied. I remember seeing stats that showed that in the 1930's the largest part of the average family's income was spent on food, shelter and clothing. Today, that has ben replaced by 'entertainment'. Shelter is still way up there but the percentage spent on food has dropped way down the list. And I think most people reading this would say, hey, that's great! Most people can afford food!

But I think there is another side to it. When food is cheap, so is the labor of the farmer. When food is cheap, the agrarian lifestyle is cheapened. And the industrial, technical and consumer lifestyle is elevated and worshipped. At the expense of agricultural and agrarian culture. So we hardly have to give a thought to food, but we'll go into debt up to our eyeballs for PlayStations, digital cameras, computers, cars, tractors (not used in agriculture), etc etc.

It seems like we have our priorities screwed up. We don't want to have to pay anything for the food that keeps us alive (and if it is good, fresh, local and wholesome can provide immense pleasure) but we'll get a second mortgage to send money to Mr. Sony for his technical goodies. Mr. Sony and friends (usually half way around the globe) prosper to no end, while the American family farm and agrarian communities shrivel up and blow away.

So maybe it wouldn't be so bad if food became more valuable and those who make it more valued. We may have less disposable income for movies, iTunes and computer games.....but that trade off might be good for our nation as a whole. That generation who remember the Depression as the good old days is the same generation that won WWII. We might still learn a thing or two from them.

/ Tractors = Food = Life #2  
Don't take this personally, but I don't really know what your point is.

You can make the argument that Americans value the wrong things, but that really has little to do with food or agriculture. You surely don't want to go back to the hard scrabble life of the Appalachian farmers of old. Most of us, and I include myself, could not survive making a living that way.

/ Tractors = Food = Life #3  
With the coming usage of more biodiesel and methanol to power our vehicles, food prices will be going up as more and more of the farmers products will be used for power instead of food but at least this extra cost will be going into our farmers pockets instead of heading to the mideast.

/ Tractors = Food = Life
SnowRidge said:
Don't take this personally, but I don't really know what your point is.

Yes you do, you said it here:

You can make the argument that Americans value the wrong things,

You just got this part wrong:

but that really has little to do with food or agriculture.

The loss of the agrarian lifestyle, which began after the Civil War, has had everything to do with what Americans value. It is one of the biggest elements that have shaped American history.

You surely don't want to go back to the hard scrabble life of the Appalachian farmers of old.

Of course not. Is that what you thought I was saying?

Most of us, and I include myself, could not survive making a living that way.

I'm sure that's true, with me included. That in itself should give us pause. Independance and self sufficiency used to be characteristics that Americans were proud of. I think we are losing them in more areas than just family farming. Can we still make steel? Can we still make cars?

My point, as you stated, is that we have our priorities messed up and at least part of that, in my opinion a large part, is that we take food and those who produce it for granted. And we shouldn't. It hurts them and it hurts us too.

/ Tractors = Food = Life
tallyho8 said:
but at least this extra cost will be going into our farmers pockets instead of heading to the mideast.

I hope that is the case. Many times the farmer sees little of that. I would say that is the weakest part of my 'idea'. Even if food prices go up and we begin to value the things that are truly important, the farmer, at least the family farmer, might not be any better off than before.

I like the idea of local co-ops.

/ Tractors = Food = Life #6  
I think you will find that most food, at least that which is produced in the USA, is produced by big agribusiness.

/ Tractors = Food = Life #7  
I can see your point N80 and do agree with it. To bad Cowboydoc wasn't here to make some comments on this situation.

What is seen happening in the area with which I am familiar with is the small family farm is being replaced by larger and ever larger farms reducing the number of farmers. Many animal factories are replacing the small home grown version of yesterday.

It's got to point where it takes more business knowledge than farming knowledge to be able to stay in business.

On top of that I don't believe the Farmer is receiving a fair slice of the pie.

/ Tractors = Food = Life #8  
N80 said:
Contrast that, with today's society. As a nation, we have more stuff than any other nation in history but it seems like all you hear about is how no one is ever happy or satisfied. I remember seeing stats that showed that in the 1930's the largest part of the average family's income was spent on food, shelter and clothing. Today, that has ben replaced by 'entertainment'. Shelter is still way up there but the percentage spent on food has dropped way down the list. And I think most people reading this would say, hey, that's great! Most people can afford food!

But I think there is another side to it. When food is cheap, so is the labor of the farmer. When food is cheap, the agrarian lifestyle is cheapened. And the industrial, technical and consumer lifestyle is elevated and worshipped. At the expense of agricultural and agrarian culture. So we hardly have to give a thought to food, but we'll go into debt up to our eyeballs for PlayStations, digital cameras, computers, cars, tractors (not used in agriculture), etc etc.

It seems like we have our priorities screwed up. We don't want to have to pay anything for the food that keeps us alive (and if it is good, fresh, local and wholesome can provide immense pleasure) but we'll get a second mortgage to send money to Mr. Sony for his technical goodies. Mr. Sony and friends (usually half way around the globe) prosper to no end, while the American family farm and agrarian communities shrivel up and blow away.

So maybe it wouldn't be so bad if food became more valuable and those who make it more valued. We may have less disposable income for movies, iTunes and computer games.....but that trade off might be good for our nation as a whole. That generation who remember the Depression as the good old days is the same generation that won WWII. We might still learn a thing or two from them.

You might be on to something. I have had my own theory floating around in my head as to why there is so much dissatisfaction with my generation and those that follow.

I never met a WWII vet who was dissatisfied with his life, whether he was the head of a corporation or a tire repair man for a gas station. It may have to do with the change from an agrarian lifestyle but my theory says that these guys were just so grateful to be home that any job, no matter what type or how menial, was so much better than being shot at that they thought they were in Heaven. That may have had something to do with it, too....pledges made to the Almighty during times when survival looked iffy.

Try as we might, we simply cannot know what it was like for those people. I hate to say it but maybe trying times are necessary to build character and we really haven't had that.

/ Tractors = Food = Life #9  
IMHO If this trend continues we will remember these as the good oldays.

When corporations get control of what the sheeple need (look out)
Take oil & fuel as an example of this,and the politrickters are right there with them.

I have made up my mind to ALWAYS own a farm and farm equipment = food

Ernie

/ Tractors = Food = Life
SnowRidge said:
I think you will find that most food, at least that which is produced in the USA, is produced by big agribusiness.

I think you are right. Wal-Farm.