Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Air compressor???

Quote Originally Posted by kenmac
    Mever had any problems with my compressor keeping up. the rating plate states 25.25 CFMS at 100 PSI
    That would be a right smart size air-compressor.
    Bird

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

7.5 hp motor. I needed the larger unit for my glass bead machine. Plenty of air all the time. I didn't pay that much for mine . they must have had a price increase
    Amazon.com: BelAire Air Compressors Two-Stage Air Compressor-7.5HP 80 Gallon Vertical: Home Improvement

If you need that much compressor, you must have a big glass bead machine. I had a blasting cabinet down in the country with glass beads instead of sand that was sure handy when I was repairing air tools and I had a single stage V-twin 230 volt Puma compressor on a 60 gallon tank. I don't remember for sure right now, but I think it was somewhere around 11 CFM.
    Bird

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

yep, big glass bead machine. Use to have a drag car was all the time using that machine. now, no race car little use for the glass bead machine

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH TC 40 A, AC 5020

Ray, Just my .02, but get both. You can't beat a high cfm machine, but as
    i get older things seem to get heavier.

I have a 4gal 4.3 cfm@90psi pancake unit I bought @ hft for 69.00. I use it way more than my big compressor.
    Where Bob Wills is still the king.
    102 acres, and nothing but work! Wouldn't change it for anything.

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

I'll add my .02 cents. For using garage air tools such as impact gun, air and die grinders, etc. you need reserve air and quick recovery. The tools will work on a smaller compressor but you will run out of air quickly.

I have a 5HP twin cylinder compressor with a 60 Gallon tank. I bought it at Northern tool about 25 years ago and it still works great. I manually blow down any moisture before each use and change the compressor oil each year.

I also agree with kossetx about things seeming to get heavier as we get older but that's why I have a loader on my tractor.

George, the compressor I'm using now is a vertical 30 gallon tank "Industrial Air" from Northern Tool; actually made by Coleman Powermate. I replaced the petcock in the middle of the bottom with an elbow, a nipple out to the side, and a ball valve to make it real simple and easy to drain moisture frequently (ever time I run it, in fact). And, like you, I decided to change the oil annually; just did that a few days ago since it's now 2 years old. But I wonder how many people do that. It's been my experience that a lot of people never change the oil in their compressor, and I've been guilty of going two or three years between oil changes myself in the past. And even though I just changed mine, I'll have to admit that the oil I drained out sure didn't "appear" to be dirty, contaminated, etc. at all.
    Bird

Tractor
    LS XR3037HC

Bird,
    When I change mine its definetly not as clean as it was when it went in. Its not black, just dirty. I did the same using a manual blowdown ball valve I installed.

Tractor
    yanmar 3110D

Quote Originally Posted by Bird
    George, the compressor I'm using now is a vertical 30 gallon tank "Industrial Air" from Northern Tool; actually made by Coleman Powermate. I replaced the petcock in the middle of the bottom with an elbow, a nipple out to the side, and a ball valve to make it real simple and easy to drain moisture frequently (ever time I run it, in fact). And, like you, I decided to change the oil annually; just did that a few days ago since it's now 2 years old. But I wonder how many people do that. It's been my experience that a lot of people never change the oil in their compressor, and I've been guilty of going two or three years between oil changes myself in the past. And even though I just changed mine, I'll have to admit that the oil I drained out sure didn't "appear" to be dirty, contaminated, etc. at all.

I change my compressor oil every year . I use synthetic oil & put a decal on the compressor so I'll know when to change the oil

I use synthetic oil
    Another interesting point. My compressor manual says: NOTE: The compressor is pre-filled with synthetic oil. We recommend using a good quality 10W-30 synthetic motor oil for this pump."

Now it's made by Coleman Powermate and came from Northern Tool. So I buy my compressor oil there, also. A black bottle of Coleman Powermate Air-Compressor oil; $3.95 a quart. It says on the bottle "One quart of all weather oil"; nothing anymore specific; nothing to say whether or not it's synthetic; nothing to say what viscosity it is. And Northern Tool employees don't know either. But I reckon it's good enough, and assume for that price, it should be synthetic.
    Bird

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast