Air compressor???

/ Air compressor??? #11  
kenmac said:
Mever had any problems with my compressor keeping up. the rating plate states 25.25 CFMS at 100 PSI

That would be a right smart size air-compressor.:D

/ Air compressor??? #13  
If you need that much compressor, you must have a big glass bead machine. I had a blasting cabinet down in the country with glass beads instead of sand that was sure handy when I was repairing air tools and I had a single stage V-twin 230 volt Puma compressor on a 60 gallon tank. I don't remember for sure right now, but I think it was somewhere around 11 CFM.

/ Air compressor??? #14  
yep, big glass bead machine. Use to have a drag car was all the time using that machine. now, no race car little use for the glass bead machine

/ Air compressor??? #15  
Ray, Just my .02, but get both. You can't beat a high cfm machine, but as
i get older things seem to get heavier.

I have a 4gal 4.3 cfm@90psi pancake unit I bought @ hft for 69.00. I use it way more than my big compressor.

/ Air compressor??? #16  
I'll add my .02 cents. For using garage air tools such as impact gun, air and die grinders, etc. you need reserve air and quick recovery. The tools will work on a smaller compressor but you will run out of air quickly.

I have a 5HP twin cylinder compressor with a 60 Gallon tank. I bought it at Northern tool about 25 years ago and it still works great. I manually blow down any moisture before each use and change the compressor oil each year.

I also agree with kossetx about things seeming to get heavier as we get older but that's why I have a loader on my tractor.

/ Air compressor??? #17  
George, the compressor I'm using now is a vertical 30 gallon tank "Industrial Air" from Northern Tool; actually made by Coleman Powermate. I replaced the petcock in the middle of the bottom with an elbow, a nipple out to the side, and a ball valve to make it real simple and easy to drain moisture frequently (ever time I run it, in fact). And, like you, I decided to change the oil annually; just did that a few days ago since it's now 2 years old. But I wonder how many people do that. It's been my experience that a lot of people never change the oil in their compressor, and I've been guilty of going two or three years between oil changes myself in the past. And even though I just changed mine, I'll have to admit that the oil I drained out sure didn't "appear" to be dirty, contaminated, etc. at all.

/ Air compressor??? #18  
Bird,
When I change mine its definetly not as clean as it was when it went in. Its not black, just dirty. I did the same using a manual blowdown ball valve I installed.

/ Air compressor??? #19  
Bird said:
George, the compressor I'm using now is a vertical 30 gallon tank "Industrial Air" from Northern Tool; actually made by Coleman Powermate. I replaced the petcock in the middle of the bottom with an elbow, a nipple out to the side, and a ball valve to make it real simple and easy to drain moisture frequently (ever time I run it, in fact). And, like you, I decided to change the oil annually; just did that a few days ago since it's now 2 years old. But I wonder how many people do that. It's been my experience that a lot of people never change the oil in their compressor, and I've been guilty of going two or three years between oil changes myself in the past. And even though I just changed mine, I'll have to admit that the oil I drained out sure didn't "appear" to be dirty, contaminated, etc. at all.

I change my compressor oil every year . I use synthetic oil & put a decal on the compressor so I'll know when to change the oil

/ Air compressor??? #20  
I use synthetic oil

Another interesting point. My compressor manual says: NOTE: The compressor is pre-filled with synthetic oil. We recommend using a good quality 10W-30 synthetic motor oil for this pump."

Now it's made by Coleman Powermate and came from Northern Tool. So I buy my compressor oil there, also. A black bottle of Coleman Powermate Air-Compressor oil; $3.95 a quart. It says on the bottle "One quart of all weather oil"; nothing anymore specific; nothing to say whether or not it's synthetic; nothing to say what viscosity it is.:confused: And Northern Tool employees don't know either. But I reckon it's good enough, and assume for that price, it should be synthetic.:D