Air compressor???

/ Air compressor??? #1  

RayH

Banned
Tractor
Kubota BX23
My current air compressor is in need of replacement. Its a Cambell hausfeld at least 10 years old and has given me good service but last year I had to rebuild the piston and cylinder, I broke the purge valve off the tank, the points are sticking and the release valve wont release. I know these things are fixable but Im just ready for a new one. It a 2.5hp with a 20 gal tank if I remember correctly.
My question is, Ive been looking around and my needs have changed a little. While the one I have is "portable" its still pretty heavy to roll around and load in a vehicle. Im finding that I may want something more portable like a pancake compressor or a stack compressor.
Ive used the compressor mainly for garage use, working on vehicles and some metal fabbing and so forth but Im going to be doing more home improvement type stuff in the future but I would still like the option of using my garage tools with it.
Do you think one of these smaller contractor grade compressors would be sufficient for garage use? I run a cutoff wheel, 1/2 impact, air ratchet and a ciphon blaster.

/ Air compressor??? #2  
Do you think one of these smaller contractor grade compressors would be sufficient for garage use? I run a cutoff wheel, 1/2 impact, air ratchet and a ciphon blaster.

The short answer to this is no. The pancake compressors do not deliver enough CFM to operate any of these except maybe the air ratchet. They are made to operate nailer's witch have a very low air usage.

/ Air compressor??? #3  
Ray, if you check the data plate on the tools and/or the manual to see what volume of air if recommended for each (CFM or SCFM) and get a compressor that will put out as much as the tool that requires the most, you'll always be happy with it. Different models can vary, but for an example, I'd say about 4 CFM for the half inch impact, the air ratchet is probably less, the cut off tool is probably more, but if you don't run it continuously too long, you can do with less. But almost any siphon blaster will need more or you will have to use it only for short blasts and wait on the compressor to catch up.

/ Air compressor???
Yes, Ive been shopping online and I'll probably end up sticking with what I have. My current compressor is good for 6.8 CFM @ 90. Thats pretty good compared to some of the newer ones of roughly the same size and its enough to run all my tools. Like you said, the blaster and the cutoff wheel really keep it running but it does keep up with them.
Maybe I'll just throw a few bucks into this one and buy me a stack or pancake compressor to tote around.

/ Air compressor??? #5  
The blaster will use alot of air. It will do ok ,but you'll probably have to wait while the compressor catches up . I have a large glass bead machine that uses a lot of cfm. I had to upgrade my compressor( about $1300.00 worth ) ( cause I got tired of waiting for air) but it's worth it as I don't have to wait on air flow. This compressor will even cycle off with me using the glass bead machine wide open

/ Air compressor??? #6  
My compressor wouldn't keep up with some of my tools, so I did some research. I found out that some manufacturers CFM usage is based upon "normal use", not what the tool actually consumes. Say for instance a impact wrench. They figure the"normal use" is only say 25% of full time therefore if they say 4 CFM, the gun actually uses 16CFM in full operation. This is not critical with an impact wrench which does not run constantly but for an air grinder it is. In other words most air tools use much more that the stated usage.

/ Air compressor??? #7  
In other words most air tools use much more that the stated usage.

You are right, of course, but the reverse is also true. In other words, that impact wrench can work with even less volume of air, but it will be for even shorter periods of time.

/ Air compressor???
My current compressor is rated to 6.8 CFM @ 90PSI. Ive never had any problem with it keeping up with my impact. If I use the cutoff wheel constantly, it will eventually dwindle the air supply but thats only with constant use. My air blow gun uses more air than anything else I have.

/ Air compressor??? #9  
Yep, Ray, I'm using a compressor with a 30 gallon tank that's rated for 5.7 CFM at 90 psi and 7 CFM at 40 psi and my air blow guns use the most. I don't have one of those gasoline (or electric) leaf blowers, but I do have enough air hose to reach anywhere, so I have the little short blow gun, a 2' blow gun, and a 4' blow gun. So when I'm blowing the dust, leaves, etc. out of the garage and off the driveways, the compressor may run continuously, but it does keep up enough air flow to do the job.

/ Air compressor??? #10  
Bird said:
Yep, Ray, I'm using a compressor with a 30 gallon tank that's rated for 5.7 CFM at 90 psi and 7 CFM at 40 psi and my air blow guns use the most. I don't have one of those gasoline (or electric) leaf blowers, but I do have enough air hose to reach anywhere, so I have the little short blow gun, a 2' blow gun, and a 4' blow gun. So when I'm blowing the dust, leaves, etc. out of the garage and off the driveways, the compressor may run continuously, but it does keep up enough air flow to do the job.

Mever had any problems with my compressor keeping up. the rating plate states 25.25 CFMS at 100 PSI