Log Lighter - LP

/ Log Lighter - LP #11  
THE SCHOOL IN TX WAS NEW LONDON . THE EXPLOSION KILLED ABOUT 300 KIDDOS I THINK. ALMOST EVERY ONE IN THE TOWN LOST A CHILD . IT WAS FREE NG FROM LOCAL WELLS.VERY TRAGIC. SAM

/ Log Lighter - LP #12  
vic4news said:
Propane is orderless, but something is added to it to give it an odor for safety
reasons. I'm not sure when they started doing this, but I'm pretty sure that
I can remember it having an odor back in the 1960s.
A trace of Mercaptan.:)
larry​

/ Log Lighter - LP #13  
NTEXSAM said:
THE SCHOOL IN TX WAS NEW LONDON . THE EXPLOSION KILLED ABOUT 300 KIDDOS I THINK. ALMOST EVERY ONE IN THE TOWN LOST A CHILD . IT WAS FREE NG FROM LOCAL WELLS.VERY TRAGIC. SAM

Happened in 1932. Just caught a thing about it on one of the cable channels the other day.

/ Log Lighter - LP #14  
prppane (like nat gas ) has odorant added. I've never seen propane used for log lighters. Propane is heavier than nat gas & air. it doesn't tend to rise ,but stay low to the ground. This is what makes propane so much more dangerous to use. So, be real careful if you use it in this way. I have made log lighters out of 1/2 pipe by drilling holes along the pipe & capping the end

/ Log Lighter - LP
In case it means anything, there is a special version of log lighter just for propane.

The only time propane will be turned here is to light a fire, then the valve will be turned off. I suppose the danger is in the valve not closing all the way, or a leak in a connection somewhere. Is it because some propane might leak into the room before it gets lit? Would seem to be a very small quantity.

Given the properties of propane, heavier than air etc I don't quite grasp the problem of this log lighter setup versus a propane furnace or water heater which noone seems to consider to be dangerous, if there is a leak.

There are propane detectors which I might consider getting and mounting low on the wall near the fireplace.

I want it to be absolutely save, but then the propane is already piped into the house and the connections are back in the wall where you can't get to them. I do know they put a pressure tester on it for weeks before finishing out the job so I assume it was not leaking.

/ Log Lighter - LP #16  
the problem with propane log lighter, is, there's nothing to light the propane except you when the gas starts comming out. a Furnace or a water heater has an ignition source at the ready to light the gas. When you turn the lighter on have your match lit & ready at the source to light the gas & turn it on a little at a time . I've seen some that turn the gas on all the way stand back light the match & throw the lit match to the gas. You don't want to do propane this way because it will linger close to the ground & you wont know where it is until it is lit

/ Log Lighter - LP
OK I would definitely plan to light it immediately with a LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG match.

/ Log Lighter - LP #18  
Alan that set up scares the beJezzuz out of me.

It appears your plumber ran the line figuring you'd have a professional install a gas log fire in your fire place.

What I'd do right now, this morning, would be to cap that pipe. If I was going to consider using the propane source for a lighter I'd immediately install an explosive gas meter as close as practical to the fireplace. And I'd sure as heck remove that key and put in a place where an inquisitive child or adult wouldn't be tempted.

All it would take for a disaster would be an accidental contact with the key and then a spark some time later.

/ Log Lighter - LP
Removing the key is a great idea. My plumber definitely knew what I had in mind, and never said anything about the danger.

I guess I still don't see where the danger is, although Harv just brought up a biggee and that is having a grandchile turn the gas on. I will remove the key.

Is it possible for the propane to be leaking while the fire is lit? If not, whats the difference in danger level from a hot water heater or furnace. Is it just the pilot light?

Added later: The key is out. Thanks for the great advice!

/ Log Lighter - LP #20  
Alan L. said:
Removing the key is a great idea. My plumber definitely knew what I had in mind, and never said anything about the danger.

I guess I still don't see where the danger is, although Harv just brought up a biggee and that is having a grandchile turn the gas on. I will remove the key.

Is it possible for the propane to be leaking while the fire is lit? If not, whats the difference in danger level from a hot water heater or furnace. Is it just the pilot light?

Added later: The key is out. Thanks for the great advice!

Alan, I have replaced those valves B-4 . Over time they will leak a small amount of gas ( just from being turned on & off ) A gas water heater or gas furnace ( these days ) have soo many safety devices installed that, whlie it does happen it's rare