Who will sell me Gastite nat. gas fittings

/ Who will sell me Gastite nat. gas fittings #1  

TractorLegend

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 DK 45HST SE w/ FEL
I need a few fittings and some 3/4 gastite hose to install another infrared heater at my shop. Apparently I slipped thru the cracks when i was able to buy some at a local wholesaler last year for the last one I did here branching off some existing 1" Gastite. The building hasn't burned down.
Now I need some more and they all say I need "certification".
The stuff is pretty self explanatory to me, a mechanic, and I leak tested when done last time- unlike the "certified" installer who plumbed the building last year.
Is there a supplier who can sell this without the plumbing Nazi refusal?
Gee, Ford lets me work on their fuel line plumbing with just the experience I have...

/ Who will sell me Gastite nat. gas fittings #2  
If something happens to your building as a result whoever sold you the parts would be liable.

Talk to your local plumbing supplier and see when they are having a course. It doesn't cost anything and only takes about an hour.

I do agree it seems like a simple thing but the Gastite rep showed us examples of potential disasters. All the course does is explain what to do and how to do it for different situations. Plus they give you free donuts:)

Another class you might want to ask about is the Pex class. That stuff makes doing water lines fun and easy.

/ Who will sell me Gastite nat. gas fittings #3  
I got the certification for another SS gas pipe, TracPipe.
It was easy, cost nothing, and I did it by mail. I just wanted
to use it in my house I was building. I had to show the
inspector my certification. It is easier to do a leak-free
job with this stuff than with black steel pipe.

All the training in the world will not keep some people from
doing crappy work.

/ Who will sell me Gastite nat. gas fittings #4  
I bought some Wardflex fittings online...Have you tried Google searching?

/ Who will sell me Gastite nat. gas fittings #5  
If he currently has gastite and is trying to tie into it then he has to use Gastite fittings to get a proper seal. This is why there are certification classes for these things.

/ Who will sell me Gastite nat. gas fittings #6  
Robert_in_NY said:
If he currently has gastite and is trying to tie into it then he has to use Gastite fittings to get a proper seal. This is why there are certification classes for these things.

I guess this was directed at me?

I didn't mean to insinuate the he could mix type's of fittings or different manufacturers. I meant that I bought Wardflex fittings online, and you also need to be certified for them as well and that he should try a Google search for his brand/type.

/ Who will sell me Gastite nat. gas fittings
It appears a local furnace install/ service company we have done work for will give them them to me out the back door placed in a bag away from the building if i leave cash somewhere... :~}

I wonder how it is society can be sold fuel filters, hose and various fuel plumbing for autos over the counter without an hour of learning? Inconsistencies....

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

/ Who will sell me Gastite nat. gas fittings #8  
I am not sure if it is code that they want installers certified or if it is up to each company. Either way when we first ran into having to tie into a Gastite connection that is when we found out about needing to be certified. Our plumbing supply company has certification courses for these types of things on a regular basis. You might want to ask yours if they are going to have another course in the future and sign up just so you don't have to worry about this again.

KennyD, I just wanted to make it clear to potential readers that you can not mix these types of systems. I actually enjoy going to my plumbing supply companies certification classes because they are fun. Ours are not like you are sitting in a class room. We sit in the warehouse and have a lot of fun as we are instructed on proper use and techniques. Since we became certified for Gastite we have not had to use it yet (not that I am in any condition to do much of anything right now).

/ Who will sell me Gastite nat. gas fittings #9  
please don't start me on people who shoud not be aloud to work on their cars or even drive one.:eek:

/ Who will sell me Gastite nat. gas fittings #10  
TractorLegend said:
I wonder how it is society can be sold fuel filters, hose and various fuel plumbing for autos over the counter without an hour of learning? Inconsistencies....

Your are right...but to be more specific to the gas pipe question and needing to be "certified" for any of the CSST (Corrugated Stainless-Steel Tubing) gas systems...
I guess I just don't understand why I can then go to HD or Lowe's and buy black threaded pipe, (or even galvanized as I have seen some use for gas) to do gas pipe work. The probability for error is multiplied 100 times for every joint that is screwed together! With the CSST pipe there are only two connections, but with threaded pipe there could be 100 in just one run!

I guess it's a liability thing for the CSST manufacturer's and the plumbing supply houses... But if I hook up a heater with leaking joints with black pipe I bought from XYZ "home center" an my house blows up, can I sue them for selling me the pipe and not "training" me how to put Teflon tape and dope on each joint?