Photo Organizing Software?? (sort out duplicates)

/ Photo Organizing Software?? (sort out duplicates) #1  

OKnewguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 224
Hey gang, I would like to pick the TBN brain. I have a seperate 80 (or something drive) that is used just for photo's. My problem is that some of my family are not very organized with their photo's when they dump from the camera. They often do not delete old pictures on the sd cards and then next time these photo's are downloaded again. This has happened over and over and now I have about 25 gigs of photos, but I would not be surpised if 8 gig are duplicates. Is there a program that could sort out the duplicates??? The thought of going thru these files is mind boggling! I pride myself on being pretty computer savy, but I have not come up with anything yet.
Thanks, Dave

/ Photo Organizing Software?? (sort out duplicates) #2  
There was a member that uses piccasa by google and he loves it, I don't know much about it but you could do some reading about it and see if it's for you
here is the link to it
MikePA: Removed link to incorrect site that contained spyware.
Jim
:)

/ Photo Organizing Software?? (sort out duplicates) #3  
I googled search "duplicate files" and came up with many programs, none of which I have used. If I had to choose I would start with this one from PC word
As with any "free" program make sure you have anti spyware software installed. I use Adaware by Lavasoft and Spybot search and destroy. Spybot has a nice immunize feature that seems to keep things clean.

/ Photo Organizing Software?? (sort out duplicates) #4  
Perhaps you could just sort them by the created date, then do a thumbnail view of them. All of the duplicates should be sitting next to each other.

/ Photo Organizing Software?? (sort out duplicates) #5  
I sort by size in Windows Explorer....probably the same as a date sort.

Zeuspaul

/ Photo Organizing Software?? (sort out duplicates) #6  
I hate to mention it, but the real picasa website is here Picasa

The other link above took me to a fake site that set off my spyware..

/ Photo Organizing Software?? (sort out duplicates)
Thanks for all the tips, I am going to try some of the software and see how it goes.
Dave

/ Photo Organizing Software?? (sort out duplicates) #9  
What I do is use Irfanview (free) as my pic viewer. It is a very popular viewer. Not only is it a viewer there are some editing features and it can read text and hex files and can convert from one file format to another. Has a thumbnail viewer and slide show.

I set up a series of directories for orgainizing the pics. For categories that are repeating I set up sub-dirs. i.e. Vacation then 06, 07, etc. Have one dir I call new pics and dump memory cards to that dir. Prgm prompts if dups are found. From that dir I can move pics one at a time or in groups to other dir I've set up. You can either move or copy to other dirs.

It's simple, free and works for me. IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

/ Photo Organizing Software?? (sort out duplicates) #10  
dubba said:
I hate to mention it, but the real picasa website is here Picasa

The other link above took me to a fake site that set off my spyware..
It's not the Google Picasa site for sure, and the spelling isn't the same. I passed it to the mods. I hope they pull it.