Cement Board

/ Cement Board #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
The wife decided she'd like a tile (she's already bought the tile) back splash on the wall behind one of our kitchen counters. I pulled the existing wall covering off, back to the studs.

I assume I need cement board under the tile? I've installed plenty of drywall but never any cement board.

What do you cut cement board with and how do you attach it to the studs?

/ Cement Board #2  
Cement board is typically used in situations where you expect to have moisture. It can also be of benefit in creating a stiffer backing.

Just score cement board, like you would drywall, with a utility knife. Brake and cut the other side of the bend. You can also use one of the "zip" saws with the appropriate bit.

Attach using drywall screws or nails. Personally prefer the screws as they don't tend to work loose with building shakes. You can also use construction adhesive but would only plan on it being useful for long-time adhesion if there is no moisture issues that might weaken the surface of the wood studs.

/ Cement Board #3  
Save yourself a little work. Cement board is great stuff and excellent underlayment for FLOORING. For your application use the green (moisture resistant) drywall and you'll be fine. I just did the same thing in our kitchen. Marble backsplash w/ green drywall and tile floor with the cement board underneath. Maybe in a tub/shower enclosure I'd use the cement board but it's way overkill in a kitchen.

/ Cement Board #4  
Mcfeely's makes an epoxy coated self-countersinking screw for cement board. They have little ribs under the head that make the countersink as you go. Serious fasteners for when you only want to do the job once (and they don't rust like drywall screws).

/ Cement Board #5  
Mike, I agree with Gerard that it may be a bit of overkill, but certainly nothing wrong with that. The only time I've used the stuff you're talking about was doing the tub/showers next door when we remodeled that place, and I cut it, as you've already been told, by scoring with a utility knife, break, and cut the other side. And I put it up with drywall screws.

/ Cement Board #6  
Couldn't help keeping an eye on this post. I posted a question about removing wallpaper also. But my question related to this, is will I need to put new drywall behind my sink and stove if I want to use copper tin on top of it? My wife wants the copper sheet stuff behind the stove, and sink. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks MikePA for the post. Kent

/ Cement Board
Thanks for all the great advice. The area is only 3' x 4' under a cabinet and a 6' x 4" section above a sink so there wont be too much backing material no matter what I choose. I've never tiled anything before so this ought to be fun /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I think I have my wife talked into doing the grouting.

/ Cement Board #8  
Mike,

We're right in the process of doing the same thing now. Cement Board ("Wonderboard", "Durock") comes in several thicknesses, so know which one you need before you go. If you have 1/2 inch drywall, then you need 1/2 inch board to flush out. If you are doing floor or countertop, then the manufacturers of both products recommend using only 1/4 or 5/16 inch board. You can cut it with a regular utility knife, scoring through one side far enough to cut the fiberglass mesh and then snapping the board. I went a little farther and bought a "Fibercut" skillsaw blade when Quality was going out. Makes the job a lot dustier but smoother, straighter edges.

You probably can get by with moisture proof drywall. But, a 3x5 sheet of 1/2" Durock is around $9.00 at Depot. Pretty cheap insurance if you think about it. We also bought the "Tile 1-2-3" book at Depot. It gives a pretty good over view.

SHF

/ Cement Board
Steve,

Thanks for the tips and the reference to Home Depot. We'll be stopping there this week some time to get the Durock, grout, blade and book you referred to. Did you buy a tile cutter or rent one? Did you buy a tile nipper?

/ Cement Board #10  
Tile saws cut like butter, super clean cuts... If you don't have too many cuts and you know the measurements, I believe HD will let you use their tile saw at the store. My job was big enough and complicated enough that I had to rent one. I never had much luck with the nippers and clean cuts...