Removing Wallpaper?

/ Removing Wallpaper? #1  

Steelfan

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC21D
It seems I'm getting all my advise here lately, but the advise is great, so here we go again. Has anyone ever removed wallpaper from their walls. We built our house 14 years ago, and my wife is tired of the wallpaper we put up. Do we need to buy a stripper, or is there another way to remove it? She tried the spray stuff. It didn't work to well. I'd be happy to hear any ideas to save me time, and money in this project. Thanks again TBN members for everything. Kent

/ Removing Wallpaper? #2  
We rented one of the commercial strippers and then went out and bought a Wagner. The Wagner works just as well but you have to be a bit more patient on the heat-up times. You probably have sheetrock under your paper - just be carefull not to overdue it and start stripping the paper off of the sheet rock!

/ Removing Wallpaper?
Thanks Andy, Yes the biggest concern I have is the sheetrock. I've worried about taking the paper off of the outside of the drywall. We didn't put anything on the walls, but the primer that the builder put on. Thanks for the helpful reply. Any idea of cost for the Wagner? Kent

/ Removing Wallpaper? #4  
We just remodelled the kitchen. After much trial and error, I found a good way (boy, that's really an oxymoron - a good way to remove wallpaper) that worked well.

1. First, pray that whomever installed the paper used a good wallpaper primer such as Sheildz. Drink a beer to get in the proper mindset for wallpaper stripping.

2. Get one of the paper scoring tools (~$7) at a wallpaper store. Score the wallpaper four times more than you think you should. Don't push real hard or you'll score the drywall paper also.

3. Soak the wallpaper with one of the enzymatic wallpaper paste stripper solutions, mixed with very hot water.

4. Here's the trick - spread a 1/8" thick layer of premixed drywall compound over the panel you're working on. Let it sit for a half hour. While it is sitting, drink a beer to help prepare you for the fun ahead. Score the next piece you will be removing.

5. Carefully scrape the drywall compound off and put it on the next piece.

6. Use a stiff putty knife to carefully scrape off the old wallpaper. Don't push too hard, or catch a corner of the blade, as you'll gouge the drywall.

7. Using a floodlight, shine the light down the wall so you can see all the small schreds of paper you missed. Those halogen lights work well, but they're pretty hot, so you'll need a beer to cool off.

8. Scrub the wall down with Spic & Span and let it dry. If you will be living in the house long enough that your spouse will want to change the wallpaper again, go over the wallpaper areas with a new coat of Shieldz.

9. Make sure your spouse works with you so they'll think twice about wallpapering a beautiful drywall surface again.

/ Removing Wallpaper?
I'm getting the idea, I need a lot of Beer. Is Old Mil Lite OK?My doctor yelling about my drinking habits a bit. I hope my wife reads this, it will be a great reason for a party. LOL Thanks for the reply. I think we got a long road ahead. Kent

/ Removing Wallpaper? #6  
Chris,
If I understand your step by step instructions correctly. the key ingredient to proper wallpaper removal is the beer. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
If this is the case, or twelve pack. does any one brand or flavor work better than another. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
Although my sippin days have mostly subsided, one of my favorites has always been Rolling Rock, but I am willing to experiment with others to see if they provide better assistance in the art of home improvement.

/ Removing Wallpaper?
Yeah Mark, I think beer is the main thing. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Kent

/ Removing Wallpaper? #8  
If the paper is vinyl just peel the vinyl face off, this will leave the paper backing which can then be soaked and peeled off very easily(provided wallpaper size was used when the paper was installed). If wall size was not used this method will still work but a little elbow grease is needed to push a 6" drywall knife to scrape things down.....it will be a pain no matter what method is used if there is no size under the paper.

/ Removing Wallpaper? #9  
The Wagner ran about $60. if I remember correctly. Rental of a professional steamer ran $30 for 4 days. I like to work to my own schedule. Chris had some real good ideas (hmm - will scotch remove really bad wallpaper?) so I think you are off to a good start, though the steamer does what the spackling compound would with less mess.

/ Removing Wallpaper? #10  
I agree with everything that has been said so far - especially concerning the beer! However, just one other comment. If you're lucky (and why should you ever think that will be the case /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif), and the walls were properly primed then any of the suggestions will work. But if you're not lucky and the walls were not properly prepared, even using all the techniques that have been mentioned may not work without ripping the daylights out of the dry wall. By all means try the removal techiques first, but if they don't work you might be able to paint over the wallpaper. It depends on the kind of wallpaper that is there, and you may (read probably will) see seams and blemishes, but it can be done.

But the best possible way of dealing with wallpaper is to hire someone else to do it /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif!