Diesel VW Jetta....opinions?

/ Diesel VW Jetta....opinions? #1  

MotorSeven

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE Hydro
Ok, i like my truck...but.....18 mpg @ $3+ a gallon is getting old. The wife drives it to work so we are filling up once a week. I don't want a hybrid or an elec. The diesel Jetta gets around 50 mpg, but in my research i am finding that they can be finicky(looking at used '01-'03). Anyone here have any personal experience with the VW diesels? I don't want a $2500 savings in fuel per year to become a $2500 headache.
Any other high fuel mileage car suggestions?
And, gas ain't going to get cheaper.....

RD

/ Diesel VW Jetta....opinions? #2  
I have had 3 VW's. I never had any trouble with any of them other than the usual, a few ball joints, rotors etc.. None of mine were TDI's but my good friend has owned one now for 5 years and he loves it. His is a 2001 and hever had a problem with it. He gets around 50 MPG. His is a 5 speed. I heard that the autos get a little less MPG but that is to be expected.
I don't think you will be dissappointed in it.

If you are buying a used one, the timing belt should be changed at about 80,000 miles or so. So if it is used i would make sure it has already been changed because that is a rather costly procedure. If it breaks on you it will REALLY cost you.,

/ Diesel VW Jetta....opinions?
Thanks Dan, somehow i missed that web site in research.....it's a good one.

SN, i am finding that most in the 100k mileage range have had the timimg belts changed. However, there seems to be a lack of really good mecs that know how to properly time the engine after the chain is replaced. Because of this, alot of owners seem to be doing their own maintenance, and there is a ton of info on the web ref the TDI's.

RD

/ Diesel VW Jetta....opinions? #5  
VW TDIs do NOT have timing chains, they have timing belts. They should be changed every 80,000 miles as the diesel is an interference design motor.

Our two TDIs, a '98 & '99 have been bulletproof for the last ten years at 45 miles per gallon.

Can't wait for the 2009 AUDI and VW TDI with the 2 liter four banger putting out 180hp and 250 pounds of torque.

/ Diesel VW Jetta....opinions?
whoops, i meant "belt". I just built a 350 for my '68 short step and had "chain on the brain". Skypup, how many miles between the two?

RD

/ Diesel VW Jetta....opinions? #7  
Diesel is priced 20% more per gallon the regular unleaded.
Diesel gets 30% more MPG than gas (you mileage may vary).
If I drove on the freeway all the time, I might get a diesel. I might.
My old VW Golf diesel (circa 1980s) took awhile to warm up, but great car.
Bob

/ Diesel VW Jetta....opinions? #8  
Jetta TDI prices are crazy right now. Extremely high. But they are the only game in town when talking 45 mpg without the complexity of a hybrid. If I were you, I would wait until the new TDI's come out in '08. That should bring the prices of used back into reality. VW didn't make any in '07, so there has been price inflation as people try to get better mileage. I've been wanting one as well, but have decided to wait. Search TDICLUB.com for prices.... they'll all agree TDI's are high right now.

If you can't wait, search cars.com, autotrader.com, and ebay daily. A deal does come up once in a while. Just have to be on your toes. And be willing to travel for one. A $150 flight to save money may make sense...... IF you're willing to buy based on a description!!

/ Diesel VW Jetta....opinions? #9  
I drive a 2002 VW Golf TDI. Best car I've ever had, hands down, period. So far I've got 208,000+ miles on it, and have only had it in the shop recently to replace the front wheel bearings. Even the original brakes are still on it... although they are about due to be changed finally.

VW has increased the TB change interval to 100,000 miles if you use the uprated parts. I've done my own TB changes so far... it isn't that big of a project if you have (or have access to) the proper tools.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat, without hesitation. However, I caution you, these cars are made to be DRIVEN... If you buy one to have as a "Garage Queen", you'll likely have problems. Everyone that I have known that has had a VW that didn't drive it frequently, had troubles. Everyone else that drove theirs had almost zero problems. The worst thing you can do to a VW is let it sit.

/ Diesel VW Jetta....opinions? #10  
MotorSeven

I have previously posted of this. I had a 1999 TDI Beetle. The windows fell in the door. The air conditioner pump went. The injectors went. And a whole litany of other problems. All at less than 28,000 miles. Thinking that I just had a " Monday" car I traded it in for a new 2003 Passat GLX 4motion wagon. That was even worse. I filed for lemon abatement and got nothing but grief from VWoA.
If you are lucky enough to get one of the VW's that actually work then you may be happy with it. Other than the extremely expensive maintenance issues.
If you get one of the lemons ( A higher probability with VW than almost any other make) you are in for pure misery.
If you do decide to buy a VW make sure that you keep meticulous maintenance records and use only that specific oil that VW authorizes. If you have any problems with VWoA honoring warranty issues, hire one of the many lawyers that are familiar with VW problems IMMEDIATELY.

RonL